cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

The way to avoid working ground to wet

Watch your hot shot neighbor, the one that is always done planting first. Wait three days after he starts planting and then plant your own.  The soil should be about right then.

18 Replies
Advisor

Re: The way to avoid working ground to wet

Lol that's what I did with one farm on the highway. A little damp In 5% of spots but it'll have to do
0 Kudos
Advisor

Generally good advice although did that one year and didn't turn a wheel for another 6 weeks and didn't finish for the longest 10 weeks of my life.

What little corn that did get planted didn't do very well either but for the most part it was preferable to beans planted on July 1.

You just never know.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Of course the real question is why anyone would still be working dirt in the first place.

We'll plant today for the first time in 2 weeks and it would be too wet to work up with normal equipment. Our planter is set up to handle it pretty well.

The other answer would be:  "why do you care what your neighbor is doing anyway?"

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I bet that hot shot neighbor owns more ground than you

And i bet he makes more money than you

And i bet he pays less taxes than you

And i bet he wasn't a union thug

Which begs the question, maybe your the jackazz and this so called hot shot neighbor has it right

And before you get all righteous about my remarks, remember you started this thread by throwing stones

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Union thug?  I think I prefer some of the benefits my civic minded ancesters worked to obtain. And it benfitted farmers quite a bit.  ;-)

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It sounds like krafty is a little jelous of his neighborSmiley Happy. Ps kraft if you would worry less about your neighbor you would have more time to make money to give to charity.
Senior Advisor

Maybe be he does.  If you would read my original post and use your best comprehension skills, you might decide that i wasn't speaking ofmy neighbor specifically. I was speaking of yours, yours, yours, and theirs. All of you in any community probably have a real go getter than can't possibly wait for proper soil conditions. They are usually in the field before anyone else. It's impossible for them to exhibit self control.

So that ficticious character has more ground than i do and he makes more money than i do and he pays less taxes than I do. I wonder howyou know that because you don't know either one of our businesses. You don't know who he is and you certainly don't know my business.

Secondly, I am not a union thug. I haven't been in a union since i was 20 years old which is 55 years ago. But somehow i have earned your disfavor. That gut wrenching bile the requires you to attack me. Much like the hotshot just can't wait to start planting. You can't wait to start villifying an old man who has evidently done you great harm in the past. Probably something so cruel as to tell you you don't know your rear end from a hole in the ground.

It's not a sin to throw stones esoecially if they aren't throw at anyone in particular. In fact you mght consider that my stones are merely skipping across the water. In any case feel free to dump the whole load on me and get the bile cleared from your stomach. It can't be healthy to carry that with you all the time. Or you could ask Dr. Phil to assist you before you start abusing the wife or the kids. You do need help and it may not be too late.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Joe, I am not worried about my neighbor and I certainly don't need more free time. I may run out of that one of these years. Are you suggesting that I get a second job?

I'm not jealous of anyone. Not you! Not missu! Not Red, Not BA, Not Husker, Not anybody. Not even Palouser or ray J. 

The secret is contentment with what you have and not blaming someone else for your failure. Which seem s to be a problem for quite a few. Not you specifically but some folks that are overwhelmed with petty jealousy.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It's been so long since the ground around here was 'too wet', I might just have to make a round or two, just as a reminder of what mud on tires looks like.

For those of you getting too much moisture, remember, too dry is worse.   At least wet means that dust won't be blowing all around, and the cows will have grazing.

0 Kudos