cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

They keep piling on, WSJ says China awash in corn.

They never struck me as being all that fussy about what they eat, but they rejected corn because of GMOs.  It seems to me we run a $327 billion trade deficit with China...they send us finished "pink flamigos", the least they could do is take these raw commodities off our hands.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/china-is-awash-in-grain-crops-1409071034

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: They keep piling on, WSJ says China awash in corn.

They are very fussy. They buy only Oregon hazelnuts, not Turkish due to our higher quality.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

BA, you are going to have to pay my wsj online subscription. They won't let me read the full article!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Oh those pikers at the WSJ  Smiley Happy   I think they embed a "cookie" in their links so you can`t share them.  Try googling the keywords "Wall Street Journal China Corn"  and maybe you`ll find the story online in it`s entirety.

But if China wants us to have the money to buy their cheap plastic crap, they really need to start doing something about that $327 billion trade deficit that`s tilted in their favor.  Well`, they aren`t going to do anything, it`s up to our elected officials to put a stop to it.   If we quit trading with China tomorrow, every year we`d be $327 billion to the good.

Let`s see If we produce 14 billion bushel of corn that`s worth $70 billion.  And 4 billion bushel of soybeans that`s worth $45 billion   And 2.5 billion bushel of wheat worth $15 billion.  China could buy all our corn beans and wheat and STILL we`d be running about a $200 Billion trade deficit with them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Dang, I'll have to raise the price of hazelnuts!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

BA,
I don't recall if you read or commented on a post of mine a while back regarding the importing of Chinese corn or not but here is my take on the trade deficit:
The politicians won't or can't do anything so long as Americans have an appetite for plastic junk from Walmart. Soooo....
My assistant and I have been working the phones and having good conversations with the company importing that corn. They want to replace their current 6-700 ton/week usage of Chinese organic corn by 100 ton:week beginning next fall. Within as short a time as possible thereafter, they'd like it all to come from the USA. We have rail quotes coming next week based on shipment from Momence, Illinois (one of the farmers on this site is from Momence, so I had to start somewhere). I believe we can get $490/ton for this organic corn delivered to California. 490 X 100 X 52 weeks =$2,548,000 worth of deficit reduction. Then multiply that by 7 over the next 2 or 3 following years and you and I can say we did our part. And that is just one customer! Better get your seed source figured out and give me a jingle.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes James, I`m still scratching my head over organic corn coming from China...of all places????  They have all sorts of "issues" isn`t a strong enough word, flat out crookedness.  Their dog food poisons dogs, baby food makes babies sick.  How organic corn is documented and verified in China is beyond me.

Here`s a news item on some shenanigans they pulled with some high priced rice over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw65n3ajZu4  

Don`t even google "gutter oil" if you plan to eat today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'll have to watch it later today; teff harvest starting and checking on pumpkin maturity.
0 Kudos