cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Things are pretty slow.......

.......around here.   Especially on this site.

I suppose farmers are mulling over most farm publications that are pointing to some of the problems from the 80s.  (and the 80s repeating themselves) Not a very rosie picture in most people's eyes.   Most of this information is translating into being more careful with your spending and treading water until prices turn around.

However, I'm not quite sure where the outrage is in the general public about their food dollar.  If high corn & soybean prices were really the reason for higher food prices back in 2012 & 2013, why on earth aren't food prices being slashed with corn and soybeans around half of their values from back then? Our political leaders, farm organizations, magazines, websites, and check off cheerleaders are really letting the farmer down.

Since food prices are not being slashed like the farm economy has been, the general concensus should be that the higher commodity prices should never have gotten the blame for the rise in food prices.  

Most farmers share in el cheapo's mood right about now.    Me included.    But I have to realize that the glass is half full.  And I need reminded of that on a daily basis.  I have to try really hard not to kick the dog.  Smiley Wink

3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Things are pretty slow.......

I took a part time job this winter in the meat department at a local grocery store.  From what I have seen, about the only meat that moves is either on sale or hamburger.  I have seen weekly order forms with the wholesale prices.  The markup is fairly modest.  I think the problem is there are to many hands in the cookie jar.  The store I am at is a regional chain that gets it's products from the parent companies warehouse which also has a markup.  Who knows how many others are in the supply chain after the packer and before the warehouse.  There have been lots of customers that look at an item shake their head and walk away grumbling at me about the price.  I think they feel about meat the same way we feel about seed.  Most of the customers at the store aren't stupid, they know that farm commodities are down and they are paying to much.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Roarintiger -  GREAT observation about retail food pricing - WHERE ARE OUR talking heads EXPERTS at NOW  ? ? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Farmers and the farm economy need more good PR now more than ever.  And....don't think for one minute that the next time the grain markets have a significant rally, that food prices won't spike much higher again........and the farmers and ethanol get blamed again.  These (Agriculture) folks who have the access to address the public on behalf of the American farmer are truely letting us down.    I can guarantee that these people and organizations will have a hard time the next time around when they come to the American farmer with their hand out.