cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Things might get back to normal sooner..

..than one might think.  Our favorite Mexican place opened for carryout the other day, we called at about 5 and with all the orders it was 8 before we got our food, last order of the day.  Tonight a bar & grill close by we get nothing but busy signals, at 6:30 we quit and threw a couple pizzas in the oven.  I wanted the ribeye, Texas toast, fries and beans  Smiley Sad  Wife wanted tenderloin.  

People want to get back to the way it was and tips are generous!

The OP in Clear Lake is opening up dining on the 11th for 50% capacity

https://theotherplace.com/location/clear-lake-iowa  

Clear Lake, IA - Other Place

Good stuff Maynard!

21 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Sounds Good

@BA Deere wrote:

..than one might think.  Our favorite Mexican place opened for carryout the other day, we called at about 5 and with all the orders it was 8 before we got our food, last order of the day.  Tonight a bar & grill close by we get nothing but busy signals, at 6:30 we quit and threw a couple pizzas in the oven.  I wanted the ribeye, Texas toast, fries and beans  Smiley Sad  Wife wanted tenderloin.  

People want to get back to the way it was and tips are generous!

The OP in Clear Lake is opening up dining on the 11th for 50% capacity

https://theotherplace.com/location/clear-lake-iowa  

Clear Lake, IA - Other Place

Good stuff Maynard!

Had bout 700 cattle here this week And for the past 2 weeks there's been quite a few people at the local sale. 

Drying out hard so there's 1000s of  cattle that need to leave for areas w real feed. 

Start loading to  Iowa next week.  Pairs and feeder cattle. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Things might get back to normal sooner..

I also think folks most  Everywhere are ready to get Everything rolling again. 

Maybe restaurants have to run at 50% capacity..  Perhaps just run more hours then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Suit yourself, open up and ....

Suit yourself, open up, and then Covid can really get going. Iowa got nice little hotspot clutter going east of DeMoines.

If you don't respect this virus it'll kill you (or at least someone around you).

Some nurses from the local hospital volunteered to got to New York City and help. Now they're completely traumatized.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Things might get back to normal sooner..

One guy was telling me 70% of beef is consumed through restaurants (I don`t know, that might be a high figure) but carryout is a very steady stream for places that`ve stayed open.   I grill what I think are the best steaks, but sometimes it`s nice to eat someone else`s cooking  Smiley Happy 

The best steakhouse in Iowa, which would also be the best steakhouse in the world is the Branding Iron in Thompson, Iowa....my steaks might run second place to Denny  Smiley Happy   But to get the whole experience a place like that has to be open for dining, where you know everyone.  A small small salad soup buffet comes with the meal and sadly that may be a thing of the past.

Ohhhh Baby!

Photo credit: Yelp

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: I have to ask, is eating.....

I have to ask, is eating someone else's cooking worth dying for?

That's what you call, "really dying for a steak".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@rickgthf wrote:

I have to ask, is eating someone else's cooking worth dying for?

That's what you call, "really dying for a steak".

Perhaps give Mother Nature  a chance of heat wind spring summer and fall to knock covid down. Maybe even Out. 

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Seems a lot of people have lost the ability to rationally assess risk. COVID has the mortality of the flu unless you are 80+ and/or have a serious pre-existing condition. I know of three farmers within 15 miles of me that have died in farm accidents in the last 10 years, and I don't even know anyone that has gotten COVID. A little over 1 million people in the US have contracted COVID. That means about 330 million in the US haven't contracted it. If you are 80+ or at risk, be VERY careful. Otherwise - BACK TO WORK!!!

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The Branding Iron steak is worth dying for, without question...no kidding.   Americans want to work and with caution we need to get back to it.  All these hospitals and masks weren`t built and produced by "shelter in place".  Just use common sense of all the precautions that we hear ad nauseam every day.  

Here`s a Dennis Prager piece that`s worth a read:

https://www.dennisprager.com/column/if-half-the-countrys-deaths-were-in-montana-would-new-york-shut-...  

snip:

Do you think the New York metro area would close its schools, stores, restaurants and small businesses? Would every citizen of the New York area, with the few exceptions of those engaged in absolutely necessary work, be locked in their homes for months? Would New Yorkers accept the decimation of their economic and social lives because North Carolina and Georgia (or, even more absurdly, Colorado, Montana or the rest of what most New Yorkers regard as “flyover” country) had 18,960 deaths, while they had a mere 858?

It is, of course, possible. But I suspect that anyone with an open mind assumes that New Yorkers would not put up with ruining their economic and social lives and putting tens of millions of people out of work because of coronavirus deaths in North Carolina and Georgia, let alone Montana and Idaho (and, for the record, I would have agreed with them).

Even more telling, the media, which controls American public opinion more than any other institution, including the presidency and Congress — but not churches and synagogues, which is why they loathe evangelicals, traditional Catholics, faithful Mormons and Orthodox Jews — would not be as fixated on closing down the country if it were killing far more people in some Southern, Midwestern, Mountain or Western states than in New York City.

The media is New York-based and New York-centered. New York is America. The rest of the country, with the partial exception of Los Angeles (also a media center) and Silicon Valley, is an afterthought.

Having grown up and attended college and graduate school in New York, and having lived in three of the city’s five boroughs, I know how accurate the most famous New Yorker magazine cover ever published was. The cover’s illustration depicted a New Yorker’s map of America: New York City, the George Washington Bridge and then San Francisco. The rest of the country essentially didn’t exist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: 18,000 to 800, I'm guessing that's old article because as of yesterday...

18,000 to 800, I'm guessing that's an old article because as of yesterday is 26,800 for NY and 53,880 for the rest of the country.  

You remind me of trump three months ago, he thought he knew better than all the "experts", coronavirus won't amount to anything.  Now, 81,000 are dead, tens of thousands yet to die and coronavirus is literally stalking him down the halls of the White House.

0 Kudos