cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Things trending toward historical normal times"

Whew! What a day at the Iowa Land Investment Expo. You know, I have attended this event all three years that they have held it. The first year, I walked away convinced the land market was nearing a bubble, but impressed at the attendance and how many folks were clamoring to pay a good chunk of money to learn about the goings on in farmland investment.

Last year, T. Boone Pickens, was the event "hook". Again, great attendance. He was a nice guy, but I didn't learn much from him, other than he loves to hunt quail.

This year, attendance was standing room only for the "hook", Donald Trump. But, because "The Donald" didn't announce his bid for the Presidency, perhaps the speaker right before him, stole the show. Dennis Gartman, longtime capital market analyst and publisher of The Gartman Letter, stuck it to the crowd. So much though, that the Master of Ceremonies jokingly announced that security would usher him out, as Gartman looked for an exit, following his speech. What did he say?

Jeff Caldwell put it so succintly in this story: Worst Investment Out There? Farmland

He also feels like global population is a big concern. For instance, Japan is doomed. Not enough people being born to replace the dying. Russia is in the same dire straits. And China is headed in the same population dillema.

I ran into Kood De Kler, he works with a corporation in Africa that spoke about the trials and tribulations of agriculture in that country. He told me that good farmland sells for $2,000 per acre in Africa. Land that needs work sells for $800 per acre. Meanwhile, Lloyd Le Page, President of Heartland Global, shared that African farmers (and farmers in a lot of other countries) are aging to the point that it's becoming a major problem. Getting youth back into agriculture is a problem. And now, the low farm markets, are making the salespitch even tougher.

Oh by the way, Mr. Trump was quoted as saying, "With all of these countries devaluing their currencies to the U.S. Dollar, it is going to be a bad signal for U.S. farmers to sell products abroad.

Separately, on investing tips, he suggested this: "Do deals that won't bring you down. Don't bet the ranch!"

So, after all of the note-taking and intense discussion, I had to seek out lighter chit-chat with this guy:

Bachelor Farmer 2.jpg

The Bachelor

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: The Sky Is Falling

Gartman is a jackass

Sorry but he is, period end of story

Land has always been about timing and longevity.

Lot of ground around here brought 400/acre in the 90's and 1800/acre in the late 00's is now worth 4-5K

If it crashes 50% it was still a good investment and most likely paid for too
turdypointbuck
Frequent Contributor

So Gartman beleives corn will go to $1.86 or lower eh? That would sure make things interesting. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Is the population problem just pointing out that retirement should be funded by savings instead of pyramid schemes?
0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Sky Is Falling, I Doubt That,

Ali Al - Naimi  is the saudi oil minister....he's kinda like a smart conservative rock so to speak.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Great to point lower populations however why not point out the reason for lower populations? Also not only is there fewer farmers but much fewer consumers.
0 Kudos
crophugger
Senior Contributor

So where do the experts want farmers to invest there money in an over inflated stock market. Think I'll stick with what I know. Been good so far. Or maybe therrthy want a land bubble they probably missed the first train.
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Based on this thread' s headline

Has this site been acquired by the National Inquirer?

This is a staff headline.

marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Hobbyfarmer,

What would your headline be, based on the information gathered on markets, the economy, land investment, and global concerns? Go for it. Give it a shot.

Mike

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

1. "Things trending toward historical normal times"
  2. "Land prices working toward sustainable prices"
  3. "Look who I found... an unreality star"
  4. "$500.00 and only fluff and bluster"

Just remember you asked for my answer.

0 Kudos