cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Things we need to work on

The most of the last two weeks I spent on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. Also known as the garden island, Syngenta and Dupont (pioneer) have a large presence there ... Mostly parent seed, seed stock. Lots of dislike for the Frankencrops there. Most people have NO idea most crops are genetically enhanced through hybidization or at least selection of the best through a breeding process. 

Then there was the "Big Show" on WHO radio this noon. (big farm based show around news and whatever from 11:30 to 1:00. ) I got just a little agitated during the interview with the Bayer rep they interviewed that was at the Iowa Power Farming show. Not once did I hear the word "FARMER" just always "grower".  "grower" that is what a slave, serf,  or the help does.

Kind of sums up the current thinking out there in non farm country. Must also be how the collage professors have taught them ...same ones that think we should sell it before we plant it?

The wife and I saw a commercial on TV while we were over there, I think it was about corn flakes. Any way they started with a "seed" and made this wonderful tasting flake out of it. WRONG they started with a "KERNAL" A seed is what you plant, a kernal is what you make something out of.

Now back to the Hawaii thing, I had several interesting short conversations with people about being a farmer and what I raised and the evils of GMO crops. All thought that since all they knew about was seed production that, that was what I was doing too. Had some short course instruction credits to give out and I did.

We as FARMERS have some serious work to do or we will be buried by ignorance and stupidity. Just look to what is going on in California for an example. More at a later time...

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Things we need to work on

I ranted for years about the dumbing down of those who farm the farmer by Madison Avenue and by our drones teaching at ISU.  Most know what a farmer is before entering that "institution" of higher learning (cough, cough) but after they graduate some how they learned a kinder gentler word . . . grower! You know everything in this country anymore is about not being offensive, well . . . I like offensive, it kinda shows passion to me.  Sooooo . . .   Give me a break!

It seems to me that Farmer is a swear word in the grain business, fertilizer business, seed business anymore here in the rural backwater.

Madison Avenue has really ruined America.  One good thing about listening to someone . . . when they use the word "grower", you know they "don't know jack" about farming, and have probably never done anything on a farm except dig a "root pit" at a field day.

I kinda like the word farmer, it kinda seperates those who "know jack" and those who are FOS!  I think I had better end this post right here, because I could rant all night long on this topic. That word sounds worse than finger nails scratching a black board.   I guess that is why I do not do business with anyone who does not know who we are.  Everyone I deal with never have used the word grower, it does not exist in their vocabulary, of course they all live in the real world, not fantasyland.  

Thanks for putting another burr under my saddle.  LMAO!   John 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What is a farmer?  Are we goign to get into a "way of life" discussion here?

I can tell you that for several years I have not been growing any food and not been feeding any people.  I grow and sell corn and soybeans.  People who buy it do anything they want to with it.  Some goes into fuel, feed, export, industrial uses and who knows what all.

I'm not worried about being a grower.

The reason is that since I'm not worried about growing food, I don't feel I owe any constituents any lip service.  I produce and sell a commodity.  

If a farmer produces food, I guess I'm just a grower.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Stupidity permeates the general public on this subject.

I have heard so many stupid things, even in an environmental ethics course I took one time. People have so many "great" ideas, that can't work.

There are too few farmers and consolidation is going to reign-- so I doubt the general public will like the way things are going to go here on out. Its easy to hate someone you've never met, or to hate a corporation. When you don't know the person you are attacking, you feel no remorse for doing it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Sorry Jim but producer or farmer but NOT grower. Looks like they got to you.

As I am on a rant anyway ...Had a come to Jesus meeting with an assistant manager at Wal Mart in Creston Ia this afternoon.

Went in and back in the garden section area right next to the herb and insecticide isles some idiot in corporate had decided to place a bunch of junk food items in the next isle. Chips, popcorn cheap pop type of impulse buying items. The smell from the lawn care liquids and granulars was overwhelming as it was just on the back side of the same perforated shelving unit  as the food. (there is nothing in a Wal Mart store that is not placed without Corp. telling them to put it there.) One whole isle of food in the toxic chemical section of the store. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was out for the day and so got one of the assist managers ..Just happened to be the food side manager. Kind of nicely explained some of the follies of WalMarts actions and explained the consequences of a little cross "pollination" into the human food supply.

This is some yippy skippy's attempt to increase profits at any cost. They also had a big new candy kiosk right beside the car batteries and lead ended battery cables and spray terminal cleaners etc. Let a few get poisoned and it will be the farmers fault . I mentioned I would happily donate the use of my #12 foot and place it squarely up that guy's derriere.

This has to be a larger than one Wal Mart thing. Check it out and throw a fit at the manager. I was assured it would be moved. I'll put no money on that one. YET 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Hobby if you are right on this, then it is obvious Wal Mart is in serious violation of the pesticide container rule. I may be wrong on this but you are not allowed to place animal feed and pesticides in the same room. Ask ECI about this talk about double standard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

How about the checkout belt?   People put EVERYTHING on that moving belt.   Pesticides, motor oil, cosmetics, and food.   I have wondered for years how the stores get away with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Get back in line,       You         get back in line comrad!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Only time we where in Waltymert in 2112 was to return a couple of gifts my wife got at her nurses Christmas exchange --- good points on shelving displays though ---corperatism at it's finest with the manager not available ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

As long as their check is good, I don't care what they call me.

0 Kudos