Honored Advisor

This Noons pictures

Just took these a few minutes ago...

ResizedImage_1376844351429.jpg

ResizedImage_1376843807260.jpg

ResizedImage_1376843850413.jpg

As to a question a few days ago about if the plants with a second ear had any kernels on them the answer is, yes .

ResizedImage_1376843874610.jpg

Senior Advisor

LMAO........

I can find that too, heck better than that............. in a field that wont crack 100...............

If i recall you have some bottom ground dirt that did very well last year too.............

Congrats, but that doesn't represent IA or KS or MO or wherever you are today......

Honored Advisor

Re: LMAO........

Not supposed to represent anything but what was in front of the camera.

If anything it is a disappointment.. Scrawny anemic ears for the type of ground they are on.

This represents a wrong turn for the breeders in my opinion. They are running head long into

the idea of 35,000 population and profit per 1,000 seeds sold.

I live in a less than ideal area for weather, year in year out we have issues almost every year.

This field should be planted in the 24 to 26,000 seeds/ac and have ears that are 18 to 20 rows.

Not this crap genetics we are getting that only produce under near ideal conditions at too high populations and then with one little missed rain fall apart.

Much damage is being done in the seed industry right now to Agriculture. This is in all respects what happened to cattle in the 50's with the 800 # finished short legged cattle that was all the " fashion" .

Most of my corn with the exception of this field is starting into dent... this one will be there in a few days. Planted on the 14th of May. This area of the field has never been out of "gas" this year.

I raised 200 bu field averages in the 80's with good old rugged hybrids and still haven't done any better than that in the 30 years since. The New and Improved hybrids are all sizzle and very little steak.

Beans are the same story just substitute the word beans for corn.

Senior Advisor

So do you believe in peak corn

[ Edited ]
?????

And yes, just got done looking at some good creek bottom ground........not what you would expect......course then again it did set saturated for two weeks after 12 inches of rain late May and early June.........

Danged if you do, danged if you dont
Senior Advisor

Hobby did you count the kernels/ear?  My Kansas count is averaging 12 to 14 rows/ear.  I used 13 for an average to rough estimate yield.

Honored Advisor

Rounding the corner into the Home stretch.

[ Edited ]

MT ; please define your "peak corn" for this discussion.

Yields have topped out or we will never raise over 14 billion again?

Is it just USA, North America, or world wide?

Shaggy, lots of 16 row ears out there but some 14 and a few bigger ears like that one picture. The two by the ruler are very representative average ears. 16 rows x 40+ kernels with a 25,000 final stand.

I, at this time am expecting a 150 farm yield on the farm the last two posts I have made with pictures of corn. (Might be a little better) We have nice moist soil for it to work with to finish out and warm weather, I am expecting a decent test wt.   This corn is in the home stretch. Corn right across the fences in two directions is just barely done pollinating or beginning to show tasseling, it is in trouble.

I am not expecting to do anything but pay an insurance premium again this year here in South Podunk Country. Many farmers here in this area will not be so fortunate.

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Rounding the corner into the Home stretch.

14 billion again?  Have we ever raised 14 billion?

Advisor

Shagg, my counts are between 12 & 16 rows, 28-39 kernals per row @ 19k pop.  Been discounting that to 17.5 and 18k using an average kernal count.  Not scientific by any means, but a general look at one spot in one field at one point in time.