cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: This is a must see video

I've been selling organic for a few years, this is my experience. 

Organic alfalfa sells for a premium of about 20 to 50 dollars a ton,  about $240 verses $200 for conventional, but if it's too weedy there can be no organic market for it, so it goes for low grade feeder hay.

Organic wheat and barley usually sells for 80% to 100% more than conventional, but at present is somewhat higher.  I'm being offered $450 for 2013 barley.

btw, an organic grower better have thick skin because he'll have the crappiest looking fields in the country, at least that holds true in my area.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Faust  Yes it is interesting.  I am contacting local livestock producers so I hope to find a more local market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Mike, no disrespect.........

but there in lies the issue.........."well the video said it" and some "other papers" said it.........

if you are ngmo, good for you........but dont base it solely on that video said this and that..........

I am all for sound discussion of NGMO vs GMO..........but in most cases, there is hardly any truly replicated sound backing that differentiates the variables and isolates them to truly show an issue.................

its like saying someone killed themselves while drunk driving.........well did the booze kill em or the car or maybe it was the deer that crossed the road or maybe it was the ice on the road or maybe his headlights went out........he coulda been so whacked out that the booze shut him down and the crash was the after party..........or being boozed up was a coincidence, and he died from something else..........

dihydrogen oxide kills people too............if you went on the street and ask 100 people what it was..........99 would say I dont know or give the wrong answer..........

i believe in one of those feeding studies with rats...........they used a breed of lab rats that have a 70 plus percent chance of getting a tumor naturally..........well thats handy........do a GMO feeding study looking for tumors, lets use a sure thing..........heck I think the control rats had as high or higher tumor rates..........

when sound science is done and published............the researcher or institution usually want to share all to the world...........have you noticed much of the research against GMO's is usually hush hush........lock and key..........only a few tidbits here and there..........IF IT WAS TRULY SOUND SCIENCE IT WOULD BE FRONT PAGE STUFF AND THE SCIENTIST/INSTITUTION WOULD BE FAMOUS.............and yes, that kinda goes both ways..........but we have been using Roundup since the 70's and coming up on 20 years of RR soya in the system..........thats a hellva case study..........

instead they usually fade away and in the case of Huber, basically seperated from Purdue........

again, I am all for sound discussion, and will listen to compelling science.........

but a video telling me that the neighbors kid is allergic to black pepper because he ate GMO corn...........COME ON MAN.........and yes, in the front end of that movie, a guy in a culenary outfit says this..........

maybe its the 75 diet cokes he drinks and second hand smoke, while be mind numbed by video games..........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

No disrespect here either MT, I probably just need to back off.  One last observation here though.  Has Monsanto really proven its side of using the GMO's as safe?  I think that what Monsanto is doing is an ongoing study and we are the guinea pigs. I see you touched that subject....and I have a different opinion with "facts" that have been presented to me.   And like you said, I am not basing my decision on the video,  my economics favor not using them. TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I guess I would ask for someone to define safe..........it has a different meaning to everyone..........

nothing is safe by defination in this world..........nothing............period........

so then it becomes relative and risk ratios..........

I dont know what those are for different GMO's...........I am certain there are vaults of research with the EPA/USDA..........does that mean its safe..........well probably not to everyone..........but I have to at least acknowledge two things, #1 it has been tested and researched like crazy, which tells me the risk ratio has to be low with what is known.............#2, I still go back to nearly a 20 year case study in the making........

the one X factor is this accelerated monoculture we live in...........not sure that was accounted for..........thus moderation..........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

This is very thought provoking so I will stick my neck out some more.

#1 it has been tested and researched like crazy, which tells me the risk ratio has to be low with what is known............

Is this much different then me referring to the video as in the video it refers to how research is being discouraged by universities with threats to their funding...the only source for money at the universties anymore?  Also since Monsanto has a patent on these GMO's it has control over what research is done.

#2, I still go back to nearly a 20 year case study in the making........

I know using the Serelini study will totally discredit me......but what they did was carry a study that was done by Monsanto to get gov't approval past the minimum time period for approval.  Approval was based on 2 or 3 month study where Serelini took to two years.  The cancers became more prevelant as the study streched out.  The 2 months in rats was equivelent to 15- 20 human years which is where we are at in the current Monsanto experiment in the human race.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

#1..........do a bit of homework on GLP and residue testing..........third party..........

#2..........the world was supposed to end a month ago............doesnt mean it couldnt end tomorrow, but also doesnt mean it will end tomorrow..........the amount of processed meat and chicken wings along with the booze consumed this afternoon will likely shave more days off someone's life than GMO..........again, you gotta seperate the variables and human element..........you are right, the next 10 years could prove the EU right..........course the next 20 years could prove them wrong.........

I would think with all the health nut wealth out there, they would find a smoking gun if there was one..........so far its more smoke and mirrors..........

FYI the study you are referring too, I think it had the rats that got lots of tumors naturally.............

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Yes the rats were very susceptable to tumors.  But the study raised many questions about safety of Rup.  Hopefully the universities are fulfilling there mission and are running the tests here in the US so we can confirm or refute the 1st study if mother Monsanto will allow it.  Thanks for the dialogue---go niners

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

.......ON THE TRAIL NOW..........smoke and mirrors is similar to fog.........tie it back to Peak? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You were right it was hard to sit through----------- when I could document 10 bold lies in the first few minutes and see that there was another hour to this hocus pocus.  If they claim environmental concern they dont have to support their claims with facts.

Example-------- " 15-20 years ago There were no food alergies"-------------- total fiction......  I was a patient in an alergy clinic in Oklahoma city in 1959.  The room was full of other kids getting the needle tests for food and grain alergies.  

Woman claims kid got alergies from gmo corn then admits that he was eating raw corn..... How would she know if it was the gmo or the mold spores or bacteria on the corn from the field.  And why the hell isn't this genius heating the food enough to kill bacteria.  By the way corn and everything else had bacteria and needed cooked before gmo.

And of course incidents of diseases etc. are going up at "astronomical" rates.  That's why life expectancy is ............... rising??????????

Morons follow this crap like sheep.  

We are the third largest population country in the world, with good medical care.  Number one and two have large populations without much medical care.  Naturally we will have high incidences of anything reported compared to the rest of the world.  How convenient for those who sell fear.

Easy for the "conspiracy theorists" to use the fact that we try to keep people at the FDA who are knowledgeable about the subject.  These fear mongers are saying  that experience in genetic research should disqualify them.  So lets let this thoughtful mom who feeds her kids raw food have the lead positions at FDA.  Surely she won't understand anything she is deciding but at least she won't have worked for one of those sin infested "demon corporations"...............   

When did we get so stupid and why are the women falling for this??  I would really like to see the credentials of all the speakers in that film.  I did notice that they let some non credentialed person make the big claims and the folks with letters qualify it-------Like the doctor who admitted that the little boy had alergies to normal corn as well as the gmo corn---------- a bold lie followed by a slight disclaimer............

When you get over this one------ go to netflix, look under "documentary" and see what passes as nonfiction documentaries.  The general public IQ has gon down a lot in the last 30 years.  

Thanks to the internet we have no idea what is real..  

What monsanto does used to be called research----------------- Now research is 45 minutes of "googling".