cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
p-oed Farmer
Senior Contributor

This may seem to be harsh.......

But I find it hard to feel to much sorrow for the SA farmers and there problems with getting there crops to town. They just keep planting more acres and they are farther and farther away for no ware....... iMHO.... If I decide to expand my acres I have to take into account if I have the ABILITY to handle the extra acres!!!!
ALL this big acre expansion that they are doing just might be the best thing we all have..... Maybe next time they will think twice to be sure that they can handle it?.......p-oed
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Re: This may seem to be harsh.......

Realy it sounds to me more of an area that would be Ideal for long term beef production.Grow realy good grassy pastures and a slower pace to the market place!

0 Kudos
zvf
Contributor

How's is what SA doing any different than what is being done here? Look at all the pasture that has been torn out. Look at all the acres switched to corn or beans from other crops. You grain guys are one good crop from bring in their shoes as well. Yeah yeah you guys will just bin it and sit on it until prices come up.....
0 Kudos
p-oed Farmer
Senior Contributor

I guess what I am trying to say zyf is If I planted it I would have a plan as to how I am going to handle it or pay a BIG price in the form of big harvest time costs for my poor planning......p-oed

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

If our infestructure was in that bad of shape we would raise holly heck.
0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

Grassed fatten steers.  that would be a good idea to me.   There are places like that in the US too.  But yet grain farming is easier. 

I wonder what percentage of grain raised in South America is ruined or has to be destroyed due to spoilage.  

0 Kudos
Faust100F
Advisor

HY - I think grain farming in the US has a guaranteed floor because of crop insurance, how many cattle herds in the US are covered by Revenue Insurance.  Most of the billy goat country being farmed is no tilled, because the BTO's farming it would have to plant crops determined by the ISU grads at FSA and prepare a farm operating plan or risk losing their government dole payment. I mean . . . I mean . . . what would they do if they could not take that payment and buy that new pickup to park at the Coop when they go for coffee, and whine. 

Even the worst acre of cropland (billy goat country) in Iowa is worth planting just because of the insurance guarantee on it.   If it has never been farmed, all a producer has to do is to plant it without insurance one year, and the next year it is eligible for crop insurance.

I wonder how many of those cattle producers who liquidated herds, or had to buy corn stalk bales, brome grass, prairie grass or any other low grade roughage this Winter received a check from their crop insurance agent when they had to go through forced liquidation.   You do not even need a farm plan to qualify for crop insurance if you are not in the program.  I sure am going to hate seeing those sod buster provisions be unenforceable when farmers stop receiving direct payments after this year. 

No one is raising corn or beans for direct payments anyway, with todays prices, those payments are not worth the risk of having USDA coming in to audit your books, or having ISU grads telling you how to farm land you paid for.   Just sayin . . . John

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

USDA auditing my books?    Not in my lifetime......they can't even get their own numbers right.

0 Kudos
NDf
Senior Contributor

Ray h  in the area that grain production is being expanded into the soil fertility is so low that it won't produce very grassy pastures They have to fertilize the crap out of it to grow anything. If they didn't get the rain they do it would be a big desert.  

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

NDf: are you talkin US or South America? I'm guilty of farming ground like you are describing.
0 Kudos