cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Tid Bits

South Podunk country the land of extremes.

So far this year, too cold, then too wet, then too dry, too cloudy, now too wet.

Here is what 3.34" looks like in the Super Dupper rain guage this morning. With yesterdays .65 that totals just 3.99" in the last day.

IMG_20140816_081820_508-1.jpg

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: uncle, uncle, uncle

Biggest single rain since I put this gauge up a year ago. 

What a waste of water,  Graham, Rooks, And Stevens co in Kansas could have had 2/3 of this and we would all have been better off.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

IMG_20140816_093502_506-1.jpg

close up picture of a leaf stuck to our windshild. only about 1 1/4 inch in dimension each way, somebody had little teeth.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

0.65 here......Fine by me.....full profile before this.......as far as corn and soya go, we are done needing rain for 2014.......would actually like to see it dry out for fall

just north 5-8 inches in the last 24 hours
0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

0.20 here
0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Had a total of .61" for the last 24hours.  Looking good, need sun and heat now to finish.  

0 Kudos
Mike_swmich
Contributor

Send some of that my way!  I quess that is why just about every acre of ground in my county is irrigated.

This yr was oneof  the latest I've ever started the pivots up and is now turning into one of the more expensive yrs ever for running pivots!

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Check the radar Hobby, something is brewing out there.  Your slice just may be getting a good rain yet.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

tid bits

August 16, 2014

After looking at the latest Farm Service Agency acreage report, Jerry Gulke’s doubts about the feasibility of a 14-billion bushel corn crop this year have only grown.

The report, released today, indicates that farmers planted fewer acres of corn, soybeans, and wheat than assumed. How much fewer? Several million acres, according to Gulke, head of The Gulke Group, who has suspected all season that there were lots of crops that didn’t get planted this year.

He highlighted one analysis that estimated the figure could be as high as 3.5 million fewer acres of corn and 2.5 million fewer acres of soybeans. "That is not impossible," says Gulke. "We just think it’s a bit aggressive."

Regardless of the final numbers, though, he does think the new acreage estimates will make it hard for this year’s crop to achieve bin-busting status without "mega yields."

Listen to his full analysis here:

He also thinks the acreage numbers may explain the conservative numbers in Tuesday’s USDA report numbers. "They backed off a little, knowing they had in their back pockets the numbers they released today," Gulke told Farm Journal Radio today. "If you knew there were going to be less acreage, what are you going to do? Tell the world you planted 91.6 million acres and that you’re going to get 170 bushels an acre when you know doggone well that it’s going to be something less than that?"

Still, the reduction in acreage should boost corn prices higher—and it did, with corn closing above last week’s high, with $3.656 for September delivery and $3.777 for December. "I don’t know if it’s enough to take us out of the doldrums, but it’s sure a lot better than someone saying we planted 2 million more acres than we thought. Then we’d be in trouble."

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: tid bits

MARKET COMMENTARY August 14, 2014

By Raymond Jenkins

Fridays in late August, especially in good growing seasons, are not noted for providing much excitement. Here in Iowa, it’s the end of the state fair and many schools will be starting next week, so it’s the last chance for family outings.

However, there were some items that caught the attention of traders today starting with the release of FSA acreage data. These data sets create a stir because of their difference between the June 30 acreage from NASS and these FSA numbers----numbers which come together over the course of the next several months.

The soybean crush report for July was published today, with the number 2-3 million bushels higher than expected. If you are holding old crop soybeans, it is a game of high stakes poker, with lots of basis volatility yet to come. There is a couple of bucks of value to be rung out of bean price by the time we hit new crop in full force, so you know what is at risk—a lot!

Lastly, the geopolitics of Ukraine was apparent today, and that was enough to encourage risk premium in corn and wheat, while soybeans closed 15+ cents off their early highs.

Multiple chances of moisture over the next 2-3 days, with some of our draw area picking up a quarter inch or more today to prime the pump.

I am sure we will have “stuff” to talk about come Monday!

0 Kudos