cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Tid bits

OPINION

Why is US Senator Harry Reid so concerned with a local Nevada rancher?

I live in Las Vegas. I live and breath Nevada politics. Something is very wrong. Something smells rotten in the Nevada desert. And Senator Harry Reid’s fingerprints are all over it.

I am of course referring to the Bundy Ranch siege. This was a dispute between a Nevada ranching family with rights to the land in question for 140 years and the BLM (Bureayu of Land Management). 

The government claims they haven’t paid grazing fees for 20 years. The result was a government assault on the ranch- including snipers with assault rifles, SUV’s, helicopters, airplanes and over 200 heavily armed troops. No matter whether you come down on the side of the government or the ranch family, I think all of us can agree this was excessive force.

Doesn’t it strike anyone as strange that the U.S. Senate Majority Leader is so obsessed with a small rancher who hasn’t paid grazing fees?

But forget all that. I believe the more important question is, why is this case so important to United States Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? And what was his involvement in this controversial assault?

Let’s start with Harry Reid’s obsession with the case. Just on Monday evening he weighed in again, promising, “This isn’t over.” 

Doesn’t it strike anyone as strange that the U.S. Senate Majority Leader is so obsessed with a small rancher who hasn’t paid grazing fees? Does New York Senator Chuck Schumer get involved publicly when a New York company is late paying rent to the U.S. government?

Doesn’t the Senate Majority Leader have anything more important to think about? 

There are almost 100 million working-age Americans no longer working. More Americans are today on entitlements than working in the private sector. More Americans are on food stamps than the number of women working in America. Iran is building a nuclear bomb. Russian jet fighters are threatening American ships. Yet Harry Reid obsesses about a rancher late on his rent? Something smells fishy folks.

There are other questions raised about Reid’s involvement. Why did this assault become the #1 priority of government only days after a senior political advisor to Nevada Senator Harry Reid took over BLM? Coincidence?

Government appeared completely uninterested in backing down for days on end…and completely unconcerned with instigating a deadly confrontation like Waco or Ruby Ridge. Then suddenly Senator Reid’s involvement was brought up by conservative web sites across the Internet. INSTANTLY, out of the blue, within hours of Reid’s name being attached to the raid, the BLM decided to back down, pack up and walk away. Don’t you think that this timing was a tad too coincidental?

It has been pointed out by journalists intent on covering for Reid that a $5 billion Chinese solar project backed by Reid was recently shelved. But what they forgot to mention is Reid’s involvement in multiple solar and wind projects across the Nevada desert. Only days ago, Senator Reid was featured in a photo at a groundbreaking ceremony for a new solar project. Where is that project located? Just 35 miles from the Bundy ranch in Bunkerville, Nevada.

Senator Reid’s fingers are in virtually every solar and wind project in the Nevada desert. Green energy is his obsession. Green energy is his baby. His vision is turning the Nevada desert into the “Green Energy Capital of America.”

Who benefits from that vision? Democratic donors who run green energy companies. Who stands in the way of that vision- Nevada’s ranchers, farmers and property owners- almost all of whom are diehard Tea Party conservatives and patriots who despise Reid.

Reid and the BLM needed a “cover story” to take the land away from the ranchers. So they claim it’s about protecting the “endangered” desert tortoise.

But if the protection of the desert tortoise was so important to the BLM, why did the same BLM kill hundreds of desert tortoises last fall?

If protecting the tortoises was so important, why has the BLM constantly waived rules protecting the desert tortoise for multiple solar and wind projects? If cattle are a danger to tortoises, why are solar panels and wind turbines not a danger?

There’s much more to this story folks. My educated guess is that someone in the government already has big plans lined up for the Bundy Ranch. Someone is going to make a financial killing with this forceful land grab. Someone powerful in government wants the Bundy family off their land (after 140 years).

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It was U.S. Senator Harry Reid who famously made a guess about Mitt Romney's taxes. He guessed wrong. No one seemed to mind. So now it's time for all of us to ask questions about Senator Reid's involvement in this scandal and government land grab. It’s time for the media to investigate.

I'm only guessing…but something smells very rotten in Nevada.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I can't believe that you would support the dead beat renter.

You know i rented a farm for 27 years before i bought it. I shouldn't have bought it. I should of just assumed I owned it after 27 years.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Kraft, I'm renting a piece of land my granddad started renting back in the 1940's. We've paid for it several times over, but I don't consider it mine. Did you ever wonder why they call it an investment?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There has to be more to it than that Kraft

why would the Governor of the state of Utah (next state over) deny entry of those cattle into his state for sale? Why are there no local law depts involved here?

Something is amiss. I don't believe for one minute that the rent is 20+ years in the rears.

My feeling is the FEDS did a retro active land grab with a pencil, then did a retro active billing.

I've seen a few of those solar farms out in that area... If turtles were really endandered there could not be those sections of lifeless solar panels with all the paved roads between the almost endless rows of those things. Nothing but a barren graveled parking lot where they are installed.

The other thing I would want to know about is the water on that land. With the west running on empty in the water bucket. Most of the prime cattle country out in those huge valleys and the water in them are coveted by Vegas and LA. Might be a covert water grab?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

This is so disappointing ........

On order of President Obama a DISNEY movie has been cancelled

CNN reported today that Walt Disney's new film called "Jet Black," the
African-American version of "Snow White" has been canceled by the
President.

Obama explained that the 7 dwarfs: Dealer, Stealer, Mugger,
Forger, Drive By, Homeboy, and Shank are not allowed to sing "Hi Ho"
because it offends black prostitutes.

He also explained that it is
against their culture to sing, "It's off to work we go."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

--------------------------------------------------------------    

MARKET COMMENTARY April 17, 2014

Raymond Jenkins

Now that the calendar has reached the last half of April, the sense of urgency about the pace of planting the 2014 corn crop will ratchet higher each week, especially if we get enough moisture to keep the pace under expectations. Having said that, I do have to recount several folks telling me a week ago that they were “just going to plant a few acres to try out the planter”, and then came back earlier this week and several of them said they had planted over 500 acres. Thus, we know that our industry has geared up planting capacity over the last five years, and can do a tremendous amount of planting in a short period of time, especially when the calendar starts to work against us.

Today’s forecasts have a lot of “ifs” regarding moisture the next 72-96 hours, so the Sunday night trade is going to be pretty lively, but I’m firmly in fence-sitting mode regarding the direction of the move.

What we do know is that the areas which only received the one inch or slightly more amounts last weekend have a good shot at getting some corn in the ground before Saturday night.

Good luck if that is you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Senators question methane reduction plan

A group of U.S. Senators is questioning the Obama Administration’s plan to reduce methane emissions from cattle.

They say the methane reduction strategy released in March could cost medium-sized dairy farms upwards of 22-thousand dollars a year.

Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley is among those expressing concern.

“Iowans I talk to remain very skeptical about the concept of regulating greenhouse gases, until it is done through global treaty,” Grassley says, “and it’s especially difficult to do this on farms.”

The administration maintains that agriculture’s role in methane reduction will be voluntary, but Grassley isn’t convinced.

“It’s hard to forget, only a couple years ago, this administration was trying to push cap-and-trade through Congress.  It seems only right to be suspicious about the administration’s intentions.”

The administration’s goal is to reduce methane emissions from agriculture by 25 percent by 2020.

AUDIO: Chuck Grassley (1:37 MP3)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

i heard on the radio today that after jan 1 2015 it will be ILLEGAL TO PUMP NATURAL GAS WITH A NATURAL GAS DRIVEN PUMP--IT MUST BE ELECTRIC POWERED.   where in the hell do these idiots come from?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Who Couldn't Use a Faraday Cage? (Plus How to Make One)

February 12, 2014 |

What It is

A Faraday cage, also known as a Faraday shield, Radio Frequency Cage, or EMF (Electromotive Force) Cage, is simply an enclosure built to protect electronic devices from electromagnetic radiation and electrostatic discharges. It can be anything from a small box to a large room, covered with conductive metal or wire mesh, which prevents surges from damaging the equipment inside.

The sources of these surges can be powerful lightning strikes, destructive solar flares (CMEs, or Coronal Mass Ejections) directed toward earth, or the effects of an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) from a nuclear bomb detonation high in the atmosphere.

The device is named for Michael Faraday, who observed in 1836 that the excess charge from a conductor remained on the outside of a container and had no effect on the interior contents. He experimented by building a room coated with metal foil and allowed high-voltage discharges from a generator to strike the outside of it. He used an electroscope to show that there was no electric charge present on the inside of the room’s walls. Though the device bears Faraday’s name, Benjamin Franklin is believed to have been the first to discover the principle.

Faraday cages, or shields, are used all throughout our society. Some are used in the scan-rooms of MRI machines, in which the “cage” effect prevents radio frequency signals from being added to the data from the patient’s image. Some electrical linemen wear “Faraday suits” when working on live, high-voltage power lines to prevent accidental electrocution. Military planners and politicians who have reason to keep their communications private often meet in Faraday-protected rooms that are impervious to electronic “eavesdropping.” In 2013, the Vatican even used the technology to shield the Sistine Chapel from curious listeners during the deliberations to select the new Pope.

Many people buy Faraday bags to protect their cell phones and laptops both from electrical surges and from unwanted surveillance or tracking.

According to the National Weather Service, an automobile is essentially a Faraday cage, and it’s the metal surrounding you, not the rubber tires, that protects you from lightning (as long as you’re not touching metal inside the car).[i] A smaller example is a microwave oven, which is a Faraday cage in reverse, trapping the waves inside the device instead of keeping them out. In fact, an old microwave oven makes a good Faraday cage for small electronics!

Typical items that can be stored in a Faraday cage include

• Laptop or notebook computers
  • Thumb drives or external hard drives
  • Cell phones
  • Ipads, iPods, and e-readers
  • Portable AM/Shortwave radios, ham radio equipment, and walkie-talkies
  • DC/AC inverters
  • Battery-powered radios

Why You Might Need One

Why, you may ask, would it do any good for you to have working electronics when everyone else’s would be down or destroyed? First of all, you might still be able to communicate with people outside the affected area (and it may be very difficult at first to determine how large that affected area is).

Second, you won’t be the only “techie” who thought to protect valuable electronics in a Faraday cage. Some preppers do this as a matter of course, and eventually you would probably be able to communicate with them. (Cell towers, however, would likely be “fried” and need to be rebuilt).

Communication at such a time would be extremely valuable. Unless there had been well-publicized warnings of impending CMEs in the days before the event, many people would have no idea what had happened to our world. Ham radio operators, who could communicate with other Hams around the globe, might become the new heroes of the day.

Many AM/FM and shortwave radio stations believe that they’ll still be able to broadcast after an EMP or CME event, and without all the usual “noise” of our plugged-in society, their waves may be able to travel farther than they do now. Hopefully there would be Faraday-protected radios out there to receive their signals! There is, however, a likelihood that the earth’s electromagnetic field would be seriously disrupted by such an event, and it might take quite a while for things to settle down and not cause static on the airwaves.

How to Make a Faraday Cage

To be effective, a Faraday cage must:

• Be covered with conductive metal or mesh. Copper is the most conductive metal, followed by aluminum. (Well--gold and silver are better, but we assume you won’t be covering your cage with those!)
  • Be properly grounded (according to some experts, to prevent shocks when touched)
  • Adequately surround whatever it’s protecting.

In addition, whatever is inside should be adequately insulated from the cage itself, such as being placed on wood, in a cardboard box, or on a rubber mat so that it doesn’t touch any metal.

Faraday Box # 1—The Galvanized Trash Can

A Galvanized Trash Can can act like a Faraday Cage

You will need

• A galvanized metal trash can with a tight-fitting lid
  • Several boxes of heavy-duty aluminum foil
  • Enough metal screening or mesh to wrap around the top of the can and fit over the lip
  • Cardboard boxes of assorted sizes that fit inside the can
  • Plastic garbage bags or plastic wrap
  • Cloth pieces to wrap items

Wrap the items you wish to protect first in cloth, then plastic, then 3-4 layers of heavy-duty foil, being sure that the foil is molded to the shape of the item and that each layer completely covers the previous one, with no tears or holes.

Place your wrapped items in cardboard boxes. Tape shut, then wrap the entire box with 2 layers of foil.

Line the trash can with cardboard, including the bottom, making sure there are no gaps. The foil-wrapped boxes must not touch the metal of the can. Set the can on wood or cardboard, not touching any other metal.

Several experts say that simply putting the lid on the can, even if it fits tightly, is an insufficient seal. They suggest folding a sheet of metal screening around the top of the can and over the top lid and then forcing the lid over that to maintain a constant, tight-fitting metallic connection.

Remember, this is for long-term storage of the appliances inside, not something that you can take your appliances out of to use and then return to the container without a great deal of trouble. A good idea is to look around for good deals on duplicates of things you use every day. Another important thing to remember is that you will need some type of charger—hand-cranked or solar-powered—to power up your devices once a crisis has passed. If you can wrap and store one of these in a protected Faraday container, you’ll be glad to have it. 

Faraday Cage # 2—A Metal-Clad Box

Any box made of non-conductive material such as plywood, and then totally covered with metal, metal mesh, or metal screening can serve as a Faraday cage. The metal must touch at all the corners and over and all around any opening for the protection to be complete, as an electrical charge will find its way through any gaps or crevices in the construction. The smaller the holes in the mesh or screen, the better the protection—but either mesh or screen is believed to work better than solid metal. The metal can be attached to the wood with staples or screws, whichever seems to work best for you. You might consider applying the metal mesh so that it folds around the corners. Then let the next piece overlap the edge of the first, securely fastened together and to the wood so that there is no break in the conductive shield.

Updated: Living Off the Grid

For those who don’t rely as heavily on electronic equipment for day-to-day life, the idea of Living Off the Grid is more realistic. Those who live off the grid don’t need to worry quite as much about EMP’s or CME’s causing havoc and chaos to their daily routine because they have already given up a lot of the equipment that would be affected by those electromagnetic pulses.

However, living off the grid doesn't always mean going completely electronics-free.  In this case, living off the grid may not protect you from the aftermath of EMP’s or CME’s even if you produce your own electricity from an alternate source.  Faraday cages can benefit a variety of lifestyles to protect you and your electronics.

There are many uncertainties about exactly what would happen in the case of an enormous release of electromagnetic energy in our civilized, plugged-in world. We can hope that nothing will happen to damage our electronics, but in case our hopes are vain, we’ll be happy for every measure we've taken to prepare

0 Kudos