Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Tid bits

Tax dollars at work...

North Thompson watershed project...

All of us swamp rats on this river have gotten a letter from the State of Iowa DNR...

Our farms have been deemed candidates for the USDA' s most lucrative whole field CRP practice. Cp 23

Most of mine comes in at $287.76 to $309.60 an acre with a $150 an acre signing bonus along with up to 90% cost share to plug tile lines, seed to swamp plants, and dig shallow water holes all over the place.

I'll be very surprised if they don't get most of this river in my county signed up. 

0 Kudos
35 Replies

Re: Tid bits

how many acres will that take out of production permanently
0 Kudos
ihtractortherap
Senior Contributor

Can you farm 300 bucks out of it Hobby??
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Yes ..even did this year with floods.

Five year average is way above that.

My fear is that it will get a "wet lands" designation permanently, do not have any such designation on the home farm now and only a few acres on the other one. I personally don't want over 300 acres of designated swamp. Even if it is a man made fake imitation one.

The next problem is you can never have a good year locked into a set outcome. 

Next problem have you noticed how things have inflated in cost the last 10 years?  At the rate that has been going $300 ain't going to be squat in ten years . The pmts are NOT indexed to the price of a new John Deere tractor.

Most have not be able to fare as well as I. Much is rented out = less, much has interest and principal pmts. Some is wetter than mine.

Many put more into raising a once in a while crop than I do. 

I think most will look at that $450 first year pmt and be like a three year old at Christmas. 

My three year old brain still remembers 160 bu corn sold at $7.82 off of those fields. And the year next to that at almost $6 at a great yield.  How many years @$300 will it take to catch up?

0 Kudos
ihtractortherap
Senior Contributor

Yep once its in there doubt you can backpedal it out
0 Kudos
booked
Veteran Contributor

Hobby

What if all your neighbors above and below you sign up there land and you do not, what would that do to your land?

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

OK....Hobby   Maybe thats cheaper to Gov't than paying FCI subsidy and flood out payments ???? Don't know...just thinking!!!

John

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

If it runs like a "wet land" designation, will there be penalties for not participating?

Hard not to have a little"guestapo" fear these days. Those dollars might require daily wildlife petting.
0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Couple of questions -- how long does that program last, how many years, permanent?  if permanent, are the annual payments also permanent? would your annual payment be subject to funding availability sometime down the road? if others around you participate and you don't, will the establishment of wetlands (or CRP) on neighboring properties affect the farmability of your land?  how does this impact the overall value of your farmland if you were to participate?

Seems, on balance, a better use of funds than to pay for insurance and income supports on less environmentally sensitive land.

0 Kudos