cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wind
Advisor

Re: Too close for comfort

Nox, that was back in 1977.  It was very hard to catch a rain.  Some fields went zero, others 3 bu and if you caught that one rain you had 70bu.  to 90bu. an acre. In late July or early Aug it started to rain but way too late.  I was fortunate to catch that one rain, others 8 miles away did not. This past year those same fields did 200 and some more.

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Just reminiscing.

In '88 we had 5 foot corn that got a tiny shower at nick and made 90-100. Pretty amazing, I was almost certain at that point that we'd lost the whole thing.

Genetics have improved as has our soil management. I'd actually credit soil conditions more but that's an argument you won't win with a seed salesman. A fair bit of that genetic improvement is old fashioned stuff that happened before '88- after getting burned in '83 with a lot of high powered hybrids that had very short pollination windows (the ultra popular one with the blocky ear made 250 in a neighbor's plot in '82, zeroed out some places in '83).

And of course never underestimate corn when it starts out dry and roots get down 6 feet- at least on soils with some depth and water holding capacity.

I'm sure I'm not telling anybody anything they don't know but the superboomers need to start out dry and preferably just nurse the thing along until later vegetative stages.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well 3 foot corn in central Iowa in 1977.  There were different farmers, different genetics, different practices....and I`m saying this all in fun but anything south of highway 3 is Iowa`s "badlands"  🙂  Around here if you don`t have 10 miles of tile on a 80, you have wetlands  🙂 

I too think we give genetics too much credit, however even a little seed improvement since `77 has made the difference between 200 bushel corn and "get out the disc" zero corn in a no rain 100º July.  The biggest improve on yields was Roundup Ready seed, up until the mid-90`s foxtail, giant rag, wooly cup were taking over, sapping the crop`s nutrients and the only tools was Accent Lasso Banvel and Atrazine..and the cultivator, anyone remember those?  

turdypointbuck
Frequent Contributor

Here in sw missouri it doesnt feel much like 2012, yet. In 2012 it was warm all winter, had nearly all the field work done by April 1st. So far, its been cold and drizley here, however the past week has been quite nice with 50 degree weather. I suspect a normal here is on the horzion for us, mild winter followed by a  wet spring, followed by a warm and dry summer.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

We go by wind direction on the ides of March the 15th. NE wind means cool and dry. SW wet and hot.
0 Kudos
bkadds
Advisor

Nwobcw--down here we can get both of those wind directions within a few minutes. What then?
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I guess the prevailing winds of the day
0 Kudos
DKIL
Frequent Contributor

Wow.  I have not been watching your weather MT.  N. Illinois is not like 2012 at all. Have been cold and damp.  Maybe not that much snow on the ground, but still winter.

0 Kudos