Running ammonia

Keeps this up summer could get wild

Has a 2012 feel. Let's hope not
0 Kudos
17 Replies
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

Re: Too close for comfort

What's your earliest ever planting date? We still have a few corn fields standing here in sc wisco.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Ours. Last week of March. We usually wait till April hits the calendar before we roll hard but if it's fit and weather forecast is good we will roll anytime after March 20th. Typically some March corn around every year, and usually some late August shelled corn too.

Like I said. Appears to be an early spring. February appears to be warm and March maybe a tad cool but April and May appear to be warmer and fairly normal to dry on precip.

Could really whip saw this market

Carry out isn't deep enough to handle a average crop with hiccups

Begs the question on past weather cycles, is 2016 the problem child for weather
0 Kudos
bkadds
Advisor

How in the heck do you guys get corn to stand this late, tcfc? Ours would be flat on the ground by the middle of December no matter how good the fertility is. Stalk rot and the 40-50 mph winds would take its toll.
0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Not to hard to find standing corn in Nort. Wi......most standing fairly well so far. Driers were running yesterday so corn is slowly coming  off. 50 lb bushel wt. generally.    John

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

http://www.qtweather.com/showImage.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cpc.noaa.gov%2Fproducts%2FSoilmst_Monito...

Soil moisture anomaly map paints a pretty positive picture at the moment. Not a lot in the way of extreme dryness or saturation. That can change- too wet quickly, too dry in time.

But for now, yes, it looks like planters will roll.

Megaboomer crops start out dry and I'd have to give that a slight nod- maybe 1.5 in 10 compared to the normal 1 in 10 or so.

We're due one, haven't really had quite that kind of year over the heart of the belt since 2004. 2014 was pretty good but didn't have the great start, had some significant areas with key periods of saturation and was a bit too cool.

Places in the Upper South and S. Cornbelt did probably have an historic year.

This is worth even less than the nutnin' you're paying foir it but I kinda see an '87 type year. Super early palnting and warm, but timely rains and record crops. It was a nailbiter, not that a .50 range in corn sounds real exciting by today's standards.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

At this point in time, financially we`d all be better off if we got a drought in 2015 that gave everyone equally a 15% haircut on yields, i know that`s not popular to say but, for our own good.  2012 and that drought was hands down thee best year of my life, my ground eats the drought for breakfast.  2013 and 2014 were wet for us and given the high investment in crops nowadays.  The below average yields and grain price collapse weren`t ...well 2 of my favorite years.  Trouble is Mother Nature can be harsh dealing out medicine, some are in a "garden spot" while other areas are devastated.  I guess, I really want $5 corn and $11 beans and whatever it will take to get there.

0 Kudos
farmer46
Senior Contributor

Well, 25% of my corn still out.  Was standing fair, until ground thawed in Dec, then the roots just bad.  Will collect insurance on 42 test weight and 36 % moisture.  Could not find many dairy farmers who wanted the high moisture corn this year.  Jeez, I love the cool air in the 40's most of last summer along Lake Michigan.

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

'76 or '77, can't remember which, that I drove across C IA in the late summer and saw pockets of 3 foot corn burned up.

What impressed me was the fact that if we got that dry on our soil the ragweeds would die.

Never say anything can't happen.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Been living life... Anyways mt did you settle that vrbuck debt or what?
0 Kudos