cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Trade your backyard.....

If you think its big enough..trade it!    I was told today by a merchant (much bigger than Ray, and even over his head), that it was getting nearly impossible and frustrating to source and buy any old or new crop corn.  Why?....we both come to an agreement that whats left of old corn (not much) is now only in the hands of the upper midwest guys that are now wading in mud and ugly looking corn and have closed the bin doors. And we know the eastern belt guys have no old corn because of the drought last year.....but "apparently" the market thinks they got a record breaker in the making to make up any difference the western belt has.   We both also agreed that this thing is way closer to a disaster in the making for the 2013 season, and FAR from an average crop.     BTW....i get a kick outa these university guys that come on the radio now and say you need to put more N on these areas that are yellow..lol!   Do these fools even consider its too late in the midwest with ankle high corn July 1st!    Ive forgot more than these idiots know!    anyway ....I think my backyard is big enoughSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Trade your backyard.....

I agree with you GMAN. 1000's of acres in my neck of the woods at 4-5 leaf stage. Way behind 5 year average. NASS says there's a higher percentage of corn that's good to excelent this year than last................ Maybe if it was May 24............... Can't make this stuff up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

No kidding.

This stuff is getting more rediculous by the day.

13b/bu.

No way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

It's frustrating.  The disconnect between the futures and real life this year is the worst I have seen yet.  No one seems to realize (or care) that we are essentially out of old crop corn already, like you referred to.  I agree - no one that has corn left and needs to feed animals is going to release any until they see that some sort of crop is made.  Again, driving around south central MN - this time to Dodge Center, to Rochester, and back to Cannon Falls, the same as you have reported.  

On one of the other threads someone was asking about what happens when corn freezes early.  This person simply could not have been a farmer.  It's like any other product that freezes before it's ready - be it corn, soybeans or oranges.  They all need the time and heat units to come to maturity.  This market is and continues to be sooooo far off the mark.  Sept corn is discounted .75 to the July.   And that's because of ??????  Oh yeah, I know - all the new crop corn that's going to be available....or...maybe it's because SA is going to flood us with their crop in Sept.  Or......maybe it's because those without are simply going to go without and if they need it will have to try and beg, borrow or steal it from any bin with corn in left ungaurded this fall.  

Let's see now -  10 days until the 4th of July.  Not many - MOST - beans here in SE MN just pop'n out of the ground - a lot just got mudded in.  We're past the longest day of the year.  Beans will be starting to flower.  I always hated it when beans flowered at third trifoliate.  Nice short beans to harvest in the fall.  

Corn - I still say sub 12 BBL.  I see nothing to change that.  Oh - and get off of Hwy 52 if your looking at crops through MN.  Go East a bit, or West a bit, the guys on 52 have some of the best crops - probably put them in first because everyone sees Hwy 52  Smiley Wink

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

with nary a morsel of corn, meal or much hay till the "come" in October, the livestock could feed on Cactus?

wait, is there cactus up north?

weeds i s'pose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

This is my backyard

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You have to have a good pickup to drive across this "backyard" to get out of the crappy crops(smn/ncia).  It`s going to take perfect weather here on out to have a half a crop.  It`s wet now and gonna get wetter today, if it does get a few drying days, many farmers are going to have to decide if they`re going to plant beans, side-dress corn or go to the 4th of July parade.  The pencil will be pushed on sidedressing (if possible) of would you only be "helping the insurance company"?  Those farmers that have a crop to trade are lucky, because there`s a big area where the `revenue assurance` will be your final gross per acre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

GIO: My condolences to you and yours.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I had to laugh at the headline of the top stories on this sight.    "Corn emergence nears finish line."    Well yes. After all it is June 25th......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

c-x-1, this situation in Central WI isn't funny. Many of the dairymen have been out of feed for a couple of months already, and sourcing the little available hay there is around the country. Much of the hay froze out, leaving grass and dandelines in the hayfields that they can't harvest because its too wet to get on the fields, the hay won't dry because we don't get two days in a row without rain. The crops didn't get planted timely or at all. Some manure pits are still brimming and need to be pumped. You guys that think this is a joke really don't understand the desperation of the situation of some of our fellow farmers. It's just not real funny.
0 Kudos