Frequent Contributor

Re: Trade your backyard.....

Excellent post, Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hobby,

I forgot, you have the best and you know it all.  Keep thinking that way.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Trade Off The Combine

This year feels more like '93 than any since, to me.  The trade refused to believe the farmers then.

Assuming the farmer is right, there is a great opportunity to profit.  The farmer can stay long and even do a Texas hedge, if he is gutsy enough.  Or at least buy calls.  After all, you can fall back on your insurance if a big crop is made, right?

The point is, there is enough uncertainty out there that only when the combines roll will we really know what we have.  

I find it believable that farmers are doing only a little selling.  Some are nervously letting a small percentage go just in case this really is the high.  At the same time, no one seems to want to sell too much for fear of not raising it or passing up big profits.

Yep, it comes back to the demand question.  If the cro pgoes away, will demand go with it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Trade Off The Combine

The worst part is that the average Chicago trader has Backyarditis.  The garden spot in the corn belt is 100 miles around Chicago.  When the traders get out of the city on the weekends all they see are lush green fields.  It is the opposite of 05 when they traded the drought in their backyard, and thought the crop was toast based on Northern Illinois.  Just like 93 the truth will come out in the end all a farmer needs to do is wait until harvest.  Don't let the guru's or the experts or traders talk down farmers.  In the end they suffer from Backyarditis just like everyone else.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Wow!, You got some landscaper! Lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Texas cattle eat cactus when other food sources are scarce................i don't pretend to know the floral landscape N.

I "get" the PICTURE of lack -------------USDA should perhaps take a more responsible role with presenting the truth of {direness} of stocks and how they are being allocated so the supply and food chain is not so stressed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I lived in Texas for 6 months - pretty familiar with burning the spines off of the prickly pears for the cattle.  By the time they get the hay off in Central Wisconsin it will have about as much feed value - maybe if they burn off the stems the value might be betterSmiley Tongue

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hobby,

I forgot, you have the best and you know it all.  Keep thinking that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Prickly Pears ?????? heck that's what we use for toillet paper here - tuffin's you up to farm here   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos