cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Trendline yields still possible?

It's May 5th........Probably 50% plus of the corn in my area has been planted.  We are now experiencing one of the worst stretches of May weather I have ever seen.   Over 5 inches of rain and high temperatures in the 40's over a span of almost 7 full days, with a couple more cold days and nights yet to come.    

How's the weather and your planting going in your neck of the woods?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Trendline yields still possible?

Very much so I would think, at this juncture.

In two weeks, maybe, maybe not.

0 Kudos
perspec
Veteran Contributor

We are starting to replant corn in the Platte River valley of Nebraska.  Freeze damage.  Had 3 inches of rain a week ago but are still "dry".  We have some moisture now but we need more!

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

No
0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

What is the trendline for this year?

Conditions here were cold and wet for a week to 10 days.  Not optimistic.  A lot of corn was in but I haven't seen any up yet, so I can't tell what shape it's in.  I haven't been talking to seed dealers so don't know if there are any replant inquiries or not.

Weather is turning off pretty nice for a week.  I didn't see anyone in the field today, but bet we have folks trying corn and beans Saturday.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Don't know your "trendline area" etc..

on the Northern corn belt IA, SD, MN corn planting used to be bout done with 3 or 4 more days left by Mother"s Day.  

Conditions ( heat ) bout ideal then and produces Good Corn Yields .

corn will be In by MDay this year and beans done before June 1st....should be a good year for both And optimum planting dates for both too.

be a bunch of 175 bu SD corn  and 60 to 75 bu beans this year. MO

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

As another comment said........ The potential  yield is possible until you plant it.....  We will dry out........

But every day the August / September weather needs to be more and more perfect......

--------------------------------------------------

To help Jim out here,  I must remind you that trend yield is only a congressional budgeting function to plan the usda budget in the budgetr process for the comming year..... It was never and is not a number to expect...only two groups believe differently, lazy writers in media and  usda employees..... It is tainted by optimism over the illusion of controled spending in Washington and the percieved power of a Job in government.

It is not a prediction of things to come only a number to back a budget hope.

a public service announcement.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

I would say trendline is still possible. A lot depends on how much farmers can plant in the next 2 weeks.

0 Kudos