cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: "Crickets", yourself.

Probably not much different now, yet still an interesting article --

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19508453/ns/business-world_business/t/what-do-when-everything-made-china/

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

2007 article WCMO, back when Libs cared about such.

Snip:

Poisoned pet food. Seafood laced with potentially dangerous antibiotics. Toothpaste tainted with an ingredient in antifreeze. Tires missing a key safety component.

U.S. shoppers may be forgiven if they are becoming leery of Chinese-made goods and are trying to fill their shopping carts with products free of ingredients from that country.

The trouble is, that may be almost impossible.

Chinese exports have been in the spotlight since the deaths of dogs and cats in North America attributed to tainted Chinese wheat gluten, followed by this week’s recall of Chinese-made radial tires and an alert Thursday by the Food and Drug Administration, warning about contaminated Chinese seafood.

k-289
Senior Advisor

Easy  Win  Stuff ,     was  the  slogan  -  -  -  

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Keep  in  mind  ,  only   ''  37  ''  Christmas  Tar-riff  Free  shopping  days  left,  then  the  2020  Tar-riff  Tsunami  begins  -  Maybe  - ?  

Have  you  done  2  budgets  for  2020  - ?   Tra-riff  projections  budget (  T  P  B )  & 

Non- Tar-riff  projected  budget ( N T P B )   -  ?         

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

The question is still a good one.....

Consider this and Ill slant it to my view ----"the View".

Today China controls (finances, buys, ships.... etc or manufactures)   What % of the worlds productive farm land?

I would say 50 to 65%   ------Brazil, china, portion of Ukraine and the owned pork, egg and other production in the US. and a lot of smaller associations in SE asia & California.

The only areas they don't have strong control over is India, Europe, Russia, and the non soybean portion of the US.  (read  SF and ag press--- we can't produce a soybean crop without China approval.)

What % of the worlds manufacturing is done in china?  And how important is that share?

I would say 25-30%  has been there since NAFTA...... But since West Coast technology got in bed with China, the manufacturing of "critical components" of computer controls and robotics has pushed that to well over 50% of the worlds manufacturing depends on components from china.  

When you consider the economics of data handling and transmission.  China leads the world .... and monitors it.

So Convenient that congress recieves billions in gifts from the profits of the tech industry and more if you consider the insider trading and stock ownership of an industry that doesn't show a profit to the IRS.  

Considering technology and its explosive growth..... China is probably leading the world in manufacturing with all things considered.

What does that say in world supremacy terms.      Hong Kong will be squashed like a bug.? And the media will give it second page behind a congressional snipe hunt.  Congress is trying real hard to take care of China's negotiating problem.  I learned in the 1970's not to laugh at the liberal words, they really believe what they say.

The last 30 years and the tech industry has rendered our bureaucracy meaningless........ Similar to the way CBOT has been trashed and is now unregulated.  and impossible to chart with consistancy.

If tariffs don't give us any leverage in saying no to the extortion billions we have been paying China(reminder of mafia protection rackets).  Then how will we control commerce in our own country..... Even if we build a pacific wall,  the production will still get smuggled in like columbian cocaine(the rich will provide it for us).  And it will sap us because we are going to be unemployed and without funds to pay for our "habits".   Will we one day testify in congress how our daughters can't live without a cell phone version 43?  Begging our taxpayer neighbors to provide it for our unemployed children.  Or sell our sons into slavery in China so their adicted sisters can "leave us alone".

If this already has happened, or Nancy is taking care of it in her spare time, forgive me............and carry on.

Hard to keep up with news now that we have soooo much of it ......... the real news, the created news, and the manufactured in china news. ( Our reuters friends deliver it daily)

timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

sw....you are vastly over-stating our Red friends. They are beyond bankrupt, just waiting for a dam to break, or an earthquake, or some african tribes to blow up their railroads, heck they are rapidly becoming a primary target for islamic geehaad. Their day will come and it will come with a vengenance. They are killing the hong kongy cash cow and money laundering site for their leadership...putting billions in to aircraft carriers, spaceships etc to infinity....they learned it well from the west.... 

I'm old enough to remember when Japan was going to control the world. They are quickly becoming completely irrelevant, and not producing enough offspring to even keep the lights on a few decades out. 

sw363535
Honored Advisor

thanks time.... 

probably right but I am in the ag. discouragement/ DC embarassment discouragement training phase....

-------------------------

Your comments Sounds like the US in the Reagan years.  

Both your examples are interesting.......China and Japan....... and maybe the US Tech industry..

All examples of what happens on a farm (or any human endeavor that profits highly for a while)  We get real stupid with "the" money.   and It does explain trade issues....... China is not dumb, they know trump may have awakened the "sleeping constitutional giant".  And the left in the US has gone off the rails with their new found tech riches and "assumed" power.  And maybe your right, they have a problem without our trade deficit contributions, keeping the obligations met.   That new canal system in panama was probably worth an aircraft carrier or two.

They do have a problem when it comes to raising taxes, but they save a lot on quality regulation.          skflskjflskdfsaldkf   I don't know....  If your right --- well you probably are..... but I keep watching us...........  because on the vulnerablity scale we can't be good .....and I assume them to be better because they have folks who will work and think they are better off than they once were, because of their work..... 

Hard to balance wisdom and security... and ego......in the face of financial success ..... and memory.......

Time weren't we selling the trade imbalance in Clintons belly rubbin days, as charity to the third world.... "we gotta raise boats" or something like that.....??   Now we can't live without them down on the farm........I here that echo from somewhere on a regular basis.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Yep, recall that the argument that we heard was about how our direct investments and imports from "developing" countries would boost their economic activity and their standard of living, and allow them to then  import more goods from us.  "A rising tide lifts all boats." 

Ross Perot was trying to sound the alarms about that future "giant sucking sound" of plants and jobs moving outside our borders.

Don't think any of them envisioned a $400-$500 billion annual trade deficit with China, and what to eventually do to avoid that scenario, other than the apparent (lack of) effort or limitations that allowed that to happen.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

When I was growing up there was a motivation story that was popular about 2 shoe salesmen went to Africa and one reported back "we can`t do business here, no one wears shoes."   The second salesman reports back "Much opportunity to sell shoes! No one has any!!!".   And it seems everyone jumped on the sell sell sell bandwagon and that`s fine you have to be smart and we weren`t.  So we went from "trade benefits everyone" (no it doesn`t) to apologizing for the free trade shortcomings by saying "no one wins a trade war!" (sure someone does, there`s always a winner).   Sometimes a divorce is the only recourse if both parties are unhappy after all avenues are exhausted.  And if we don`t wrap this China fiasco up pretty quick here...it`s time for the USA to sign up for Tinder and start swipin` right on all the skanks  🙂

I do know one thing for sure, China will buy beans from Brazil, but I guarantee you that Brazil won`t buy $400 billion more Chinese junk than they sell to China as the US did. 

I do believe trade wars are easy to win, however when the majority in  US House of Representatives are acting like they are paid agents of the People`s Republic of China, it is damned hard to win a trade war. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

well their not happy with our negotiator.   Can you imagine the announcement of the greatest trade deal in history.  And its Trillion dollar benefit........... not knowing who gets the benefit, and knowing that we can't read it until it is passed and signed.......

She never was that pretty.

On second thought we have had several of those announcements just to find out later that we had to live up to the fine print and China has 20 years to think about compliance

If we in the US just clean up the environment hard as we can.  China can do business as usual .......... so we both will never be out of a job.  

0 Kudos