cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Truth about bee colonys disapearing

all I can find is leberal anti ag articles blaming neoicotinoids in afid spray and seed treatments.  also they blame but have no evidence that GMOs are  to blame.  I have freinds from the city that are questioning my farming practices and I need some evidence if there is any, or other theories of the bee colony problem, or maybe there isnt a problem, I don't know.   BAYER has put out a statement since they are banned in germany and france of these products saying they are checking into the problem and comming up with a solution.  this has to do with marketing because ag is our market.   thanks for any info or direction.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Truth about bee colonys disapearing

Don't have any info for ya Dodge, but I've got a good farmer buddy who is also a beekeeper. Next time I see him I'll pick his brain. Not sure if I will get a straight answer though, he is completely against no-till chemical use so I might be behind the 8 ball before I every get the question out. I'll let you know, but it might take a couple days.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

just tell your friends the truth.  No evidence that disproves or proves the theory.   You can also tell your friends that when we use a product as farmers we are just assuming that it was tested and made sure it was safe.   and tell them that you can't find seed corn without the treatment on it.   Cause I asked once,  its very very hard to find seed corn without treatment.  

I've said this in the past if what we as farmers are doing something that is killing the bees off we should stop it.  Farmers live off the environment, way do something to disrupt it.   

this isn' t the farmers fault we are told over and over again that products are safe to use.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Is your bee keeper friend on unemployment?

Surely the bees are all gone by now, I would think that profession has gone also.  

The bees in our area didn't get the memo.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Next best thing to unemployment SW. He's a farmer. LOL. The beekeeping is just a hobby of his that he sells some local honey.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Older thread in Farm Business

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: Older thread in Farm Business

Ok, so I've read extension profs, leading university experts and chem company news briefs. Sounds like neomics could be a part of the problem but no one knows, so could many other things. Guess we will have to wait for an answer but for now I guess we can all agree it's Bush's fault the bees are dying.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Older thread in Farm Business

In reality, as usual, it probably has nothing to do with us.

Maybe bees adjust to drought quicker than we do. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos