Honored Advisor

Two yrs ago we said $4 corn is the new "$2 corn"

I guess now $2 corn is the new $4 corn  Smiley Very Happy

it wouldn`t be so bad if Terra Industries and Mosaic and Monsanto and DuPont said "Yippee! let`s sell our seed and fertilizer 50% cheaper...yes ain`t this fun!".

But I hear, "ooooh, don`t be looking for seed to be any cheaper, it might go up a little....oooh fertilizer might come down a little, but not much.  ooooh, chemicals are gonna be higher".

Yeah....and we got some farmers saying "Oh I love low grain prices!  Love it Love it Love it!   let`s take corn down to 35¢ a bushel!  That would be terrific!".   And we wonder why things are between screwed up and messed up.    XD

Veteran Contributor

Re: Two yrs ago we said $4 corn is the new "$2 corn"

[ Edited ]

If they keep up this crap up on the Board of Trade we will have to pay a disposal fee to get rid of this stuff!

Senior Contributor

BA,
Let me give you a contract for Organic red cob flint corn at $0.40/lb so you can get off this treadmill.
Senior Contributor

Check out this Midwest organic commodities prices website.http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lsbnof.pdf
Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

Those are terrific prices, James.  I remember getting $22/bushel for clear hilum beans, I think $4 for the corn about 15 yrs ago.   However, in a 5 year plan you can raise beans 1 year, corn the next, probably oats or wheat in year 3 and hay or pasture in year 4, then go back to beans in year 5.

See, at any one year, 40% of your fields will be tied up in oats or hay.  And that might be fine if you`re heavy into livestock and have hilly ground.  If you have ground that year after year you can get +200 bushel corn, after you put a pencil to it, that seems to make the most sense.

I am pro-organic, it`s just it doesn`t fit every operation.   Here is the USDA organic rules

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5101542