cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: USDA outlook forum numbers

Hey,  Thanks Jim......I learned something today!

0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

Just remember this is the SAME USDA that has come out with all the other reports.  Do we intended to plant more corn this year I'm assuming yes,,

since the way the cash rents are you can't raise enough beans to come out on them around here.  

But that can all change the weather has gone from this is a nice break of dry to, I'm really tired of mud at my place. 

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Same here.  We hauled some heifers to the sale barn yesterday, and all I can say is I am glad it froze the night before.  We got done about noon, had lunch in town, and needed 4wd to pull a 20 foot trailer up a couple of the hills on the county gravel roads.  We hauled them in Wednesday, for a Friday sale, because they were predicting moisture (again).  It rained half the night, and almost no frost this morning.  We would have had to grind our way to the pavement, and drive the extra 17 miles each way, just to get out this morning.  Might have even needed a tractor to pull the pickup and trailer the half mile to the school bus stop (they gravel the road pretty good from the bus stop to the paving).

Thank goodness the sale barn pens are either sand, or paved, or we'd be selling mudballs.  Was getting tired of unrolling a bale of old hay every day to give them a 'non-muddy' place to sleep.

0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

I still have my yearlings, I calve in may and june the run them over the next summer, but anyway I'm tired of fighting mud.  

and the USDA annouced that:

"A team of USDA economists digging into the runup in farmland values confirms what we've been writing about in LandOwner     the past several years -- gains in the price of farmland are driven by rising farm incomes and low interest rates and possibly not a speculative bubble."

thank you for that.  I was at a lost.  I thought that when one of the local "millionaires" buys a farm for $6000/ac then 3 days later sells it for $7000/ac to someone with 1031 money, I thought for sure that was speculation.  I stand corrected.  

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

The key word is 'possibly'.  That is bureaucrat-eze for 'we're just guessing'

0 Kudos