Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

USDA report ramifications

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: USDA report ramifications

I think it gives the buyers a needed break, to get their needs shored up, BUT, I also think we need some pretty good weather to finish the crop off.  Remember a couple years ago, when the crop wasn't mature, and we had lots of issues with light test weight, dryers unable to keep up, and corn not staying in condition?  Well, as of right now, my corn is farther behind than it was then.  Normally, I am at least half done hilling my gravity irrigated corn by my daughter's birthday on June 23rd.  This year, I started yesterday on the 29th, and it is slow going, but we have had so many rains recently I want to stay ahead of it.  Doesn't help that the corn is kind of uneven, with the biggest to smallest corn 6-8 inches apart in height, not just in the same field, but in the same row. 
This in corn planted as early as possible, when the soil temps were around 46-48 degrees.  The later planted corn is much more even, but it is farther behind yet.  I can see a field of corn, already hilled, with the pipes carried out, and next to it another field of corn only ankle high.  We are going to need heat units to get the crop mature, but not so much to harm pollenation.  Not too much to ask, is it?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: USDA report ramifications

Looks like we just lopped $11-billion off the US GDP.

0 Kudos