cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

USDA's 2018 Acreage Announcement

Here is the latest from the USDA Ag Outlook Forum on U.S. acreage. The market doesn't seem to be surprised, are you?

Full story:   USDA's Acreage Announcement Is No Surprise

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: USDA's 2018 Acreage Announcement

This is kind of like the fat old couple (Iowa and Illinois) in bed who only roll over slowly and with great sighs and groans.  Iowa and Illinois don't change their cropping plans arbitrarily.  Then in come the kids who want to bounce around first on one side and the other.  The Dakotas, Kansas and so forth who change their mind every year, are never comfortable, always want to eat cracker in bed and so forth but the old folks can't throw them out.

I am not surprised by the acreage estimates.  I don't really like it that I can't do that much about it.  I can't grow wheat or sunflowers or prairie flowers.  I just grow corn and soybeans the best I can.

Will the acreages affect my marketing plan?  Yes they will.  I'll lock in soybean hedges whenever I think prices work and won't wait around to shoot the moon on beans.  I already have sold some Nov bean futures.  You guys who wait for better prices and pull the trigger will beat me again this year.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Why do you ssy you can't plant wheat and sunflowers.

You folks keep telling me if I can't make money growing wheat, grow

Something else

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

One reason is that most every other option takes work...

Corn and beans rotation is just easy and efficient. 

Also the market is set up for those crops.....  

wheat wouldn't work if you owned a bakery.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

NO MARKET

soybeans yield better on average than wheat here.

Anybody that's ever done flowers here only did it once. Freight killed them (no market)

Do you really want us to create a market for these things and kill the price even more than it is now?

Milo doesn't dry down well here in our humidity in the fall.

The corn, bean price problem is caused by you out in the fringes raising them.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Corn belt can't supply a 14 billion bushel demand for corn..........

or the bean demand....

But the point is ...... if the fringe hasn't got alternatives.....The corn belt doesn't either.

I still think wheat is the problem........ if there is a problem....

Or the real problem might be that washington thinks they don't really need to produce what can be bought elsewhere cheaper.... and maybe we don't..

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not sure they can cheaper.

They are giving it all they got and beans are +$9.50 and corn has put on half a buck here in South Podunk Country Iowa.

Plant bids are over $9.80 cash this afternoon. With the current weather patterns I think there is an outside chance of printing $10 beans and $3.50 on cash bids next week here.

Those of us in the low cost production category this is tall cotton . 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This acreage estimate does absolutely nothing to help the American farmer.   BTW, The predictions this time of year of record yields don't help either.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos