cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlfarmer89
Senior Reader

Re: Uncle, Uncle, Uncle

Here in Kansas we pray for rain everyday and it just will not do it.  The corn and beans are in the ground but we are not sure there is enough moisture to get them up.  The wheat is just now trying to head, about 2-3 weeks behind normal,but it is turning brown.  Pastures are about to give up again. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

What Kansas County?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Fresh Storms Threaten Central U.S. Memorial Day Plans

UPDATED 7:45 AM CDT, May 27, 2013

UPDATED By WeatherBug Meteorologist, Fred Allen

Enlarge
A stubborn but active weather pattern will mean little severe weather relief for much of the Plains and Middle Mississippi Valley for Memorial Day and beyond. Not only will a few tornadoes be possible, but very large hail and destructive wind gusts will accompany the thunderstorms as well.

As if the central and northern High Plains haven`t endured enough severe weather already for the long holiday weekend, Mother Nature won`t be offering any such relief this afternoon and evening. Several clusters of severe thunderstorms will explode from southeastern Montana and the western Dakotas to eastern Nebraska, eastern Kansas, and Iowa by this evening.

Feeding off a clash of very warm and humid Gulf of Mexico air flowing northward throughout the Plains, and cooler, drier air anchored in place across the Upper Midwest, the storms will trek eastward into the Ohio Valley and southern Great Lakes along a warm front tonight and in the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday.

Even a few potent thunderstorms cannot be ruled out along a dry line separating warm, humid air from much drier air sweeping off the Rockies from western Texas to southwestern Kansas early tonight. In all, the thunderstorms from Texas to Montana and the western Dakotas will pack large hail up to baseballs, damaging wind gusts climbing over 70 mph, and even a few brief tornadoes.

Rapid City and Pierre, S.D., Omaha, Lincoln, and Valentine, Neb., Des Moines, Iowa, Kansas City, Mo., Topeka, Manhattan, and Wichita, Kan., and Midland-Odessa, Texas, are amongst some of the cities that could be directly impacted by a party-ruining thunderstorm later today and tonight.

The slow pace of the storms won`t do any favors either, at least when it comes to heavy rainfall and the growing threat of flash and urban flooding. A quick 1 to 2 inches of rain will be likely, with as much as 3 inches possible locally from South Dakota to central Illinois. A Flash Flood Watch is in place from southeastern South Dakota to south-central Illinois. Remember, if you approach a flooded roadway, it is best to, "Turn Around, Don`t Drown"!

Unfortunately, the storm threat will almost repeat itself for Tuesday. A new and fresh low pressure will touch off an array of powerful thunderstorms extending from western Texas all the way to the Middle Mississippi Valley and arcing into the Great Lakes. Not only will very large hail and damaging winds be on the weather menu, but a few tornadoes will also be possible.

Cities from Midland-Odessa and Lubbock, Texas, to Omaha, Neb., Milwaukee, Chicago and Peoria, Ill., and Detroit will all need to be on high alert for a fresh round or two of thunderstorms on Tuesday.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks for sharing Hobby.  My Dad always told me that if we could get through Memorial weekend without receiving any significant hail damage on our winter wheat crop that we were more than likely going to avoid it for that year.  I realize that in Central Kansas we generally begin harvesting only 2 or 3 weeks after this weekend, but he was correct more than he was wrong.  I can't pinpoint it, but there is some type of correlation between severe weather and Memorial Day weekend, seems like we receive some real doosies on this weekend.

PS, in 2012 Central Kansas began wheat harvest on Memorial Day weekend.  2013 we aren't even 100% headed out, close, but not 100%.  What a difference 1 year can make.

0 Kudos
Faust100F
Advisor

Hobby is probably done and the corn is knee high on the rich farmland he owns in Iowa.  However . . . here in the rural backwater . . . some beans were put in ten days ago, not much has been planted since.  Corn is still to be planted, but much of it was planted a few weeks ago. The beans that have been planted probably will "damp off" with the rains coming every other day.   The corn is just drowning in fields that have not been tiled and have little slope. 

Prevent plant corn becomes effective in a few days, and prevent plant beans willl kick in about two weeks from now.  Kinda looks like there may be some guys just sitting it out this year (including me) if it keeps raining.   I hear the walleye are biting in Dakota.

I had ordered seed corn and seed beans but they are still in the dealers warehouse, kinda looks like they may owe me a refund.   lol.    John 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

If these acres will be PP, will the ground just be kept in shape chemically or mechanically?  Will any of these acres be seeded to some type of cover crop with hopes of possibly selling some hay later in the year?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

They will sit. Some will control the weeds either chemically of with steel some will become a weedy mess for someone to deal with next year.

In the past Fed crop has considered it their ground and NO crop of any kind was allowed. "they are the tenant"

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

"I had ordered seed corn and seed beans but they are still in the dealers warehouse, kinda looks like they may owe me a refund.   lol.    John "

I'm having a WTF experience here.... I mean you are a bean farmer. Hope your co is better than mine, once you buy it it is yours, they will take it back and warehouse it for you and bring it back next year to you, but "refund" ain't in their vocabulary.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
NDf
Senior Contributor

Hobby you need to find a new seed dealer(s). The big ones like Dekalb or Pioneer in our area take back seed and refund and even most of the regionals do also. I won't buy from a company that doesn't.

0 Kudos