cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Uncle is nervous for a reason

A few weeks back my dad's brother said things looked too good - it was making him nervous.

Maybe this is what he was thinking about:

.A FLASH FLOOD WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM LATE THIS AFTERNOON
THROUGH MONDAY MORNING FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN MINNESOTA AND A
SMALL PORTION OF WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN. THE WATCH AREA IS ALONG
AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM OLIVIA THROUGH THE TWIN CITIES TO NEW
RICHMOND AND MENOMONIE IN WESTERN WISCONSIN.

A SLOW MOVING FRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE WATCH AREA WILL LIKELY
LEAD TO PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINFALL FROM LATE THIS
AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING. LOCALIZED RAINFALL AMOUNTS
OF 4 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE. THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN COULD OCCUR
OVER A 2 TO 3 HOUR PERIOD...RESULTING IN FLASH FLOODING..

We've been so blessed this summer we are probably overdue for a small taste

of what others have had to deal with.  Although one storm doesn't come close to what

has happened in other areas this could make a mess out of some nice looking crops.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: Uncle is nervous for a reason

Oh come on Cat - you'll be OK - Heck that 4 to 6 only happens to Ole Missery and us Hoosiers  lol   Keep the faith brother -  the USDA is counting on you guys to carry the load - Smiley Happy

Good luck

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Smack dab in the middle of that forecast area and got a quick, very welcome .8" mid-afternoon today. Slight chance of more overnight. Will update. And not sure how 4" could devastate fully vegetated standing green crops unless the ground was previously saturated, which it can't be on a crop like that if it hasn't rained quite recently, as in a day or two before.
0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

I'd take

a good  4-6" pounding rain right now....so quit yer bitching.    all that will do is excess will run off and add tw to your already monstrous crop.

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: I'd take

Wasn't bitching. Just wondering how cat saw a big rain right now would be catastrophic. Wound up with 1.6".
0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Re: I'd take

Never said it would be castrophic - just that that much rain could make a mess out of some nice crops.

Especially beans in low lying areas that so far this year are in pretty good shape around here.

Everybody keeps talking about NIA, SMN, NE and the Dakotas making up for issues to the south and east.

Too much rain could certainly take us down a peg or two.

0 Kudos
swohio
Contributor

A peg or two? Some of us fell off the ladder completely and the usda threw the ladder on top of us for good measure. Smiley Happy
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Weighing in for the "garden spot" Minnesota, I recently traveled a couple of hundred miles to the north and 60 miles to the south, 120 miles to the east and not very far to the west from around Mankato MN and my assessment is that there is a lot of variablity from field to field even in the paradise that we are supposedly in. Up towards St. Cloud, too wet in a lot of places, large drowned out areas, etc.

Other places, browning corn as the rain events played hit and miss.

My own crops may or may not end up as my best ever, but I just need to go a few miles to see browning corn (before yesterdays 1.5 to 3.0 inches , the "million dollar" rain even we have been waiting for since the fourth of July) and at a neighbors auction, guys on heavy ground were talking crop ins claims as the beans quit growing, and the corn was wilting. Granted, a timely rain can turn a brown field of Monsantos best drought corn back to green and produce good yields....been seeing that happen regularily over the last couple of decades, too.

Doesn't make a lot of difference to me one way or the other since I took advantage of the $4 corn bids, and $10 soybean bids to sell a normal years worth of production and can go to 2017 without additional sales now and still be eating regularily. But, if I was unsold, I would be tempted to wait until after harvest and let the market digest what actually comes off the fields.

0 Kudos
johnmate37307
Contributor

It may a a catastrophic because teh rain can make any kind of disaster even the man can do nothing when the nature is willing to do something wrong with him. All his hardwork during harvesting would waste when the rain do some mess.

0 Kudos