cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Vilsack Extends Yield and Base Acre Deadline

this is just another example of how this administration in Washington DC is like Ted mack's amateur hour.
0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Don't kid yourself.

This was squarely an issue because of Congress. The House majority could not agree to get a bill out for like two years. Didn't even try. Legislative malfeasance to the max. If I remember the Senate sent legislation to the House long ago but it did nothing.

Let's not start twisting the facts on something so basic.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Wrong again palo. Why didn't the Emporer do the executive privilege signing?
0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I know generally what happened during the course of the farm bill legislation over the last several years so I'm not wrong. Look it up yourself. Denial is irrelevant in this case. It is what it is.

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

If bases were figured on last 5 yrs.....would include a whole lot of acres that $7.00 corn brought into the picture. Not a nolmal historic picture of the base. Those acres will eventually end up back in grass where they should be!!! At least IMO!!

John

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

So, why not make it an average of actual reported history for 6-8 years, a rolling average that is updated in the system annually with nothing extra to do or sign, no choices, no grandfathering, and no exceptions except for error corrections.  Corn was corn, beans were beans, etc., and grass was grass.  It gets updated within the system whenever farm changes are reported, in case of changes in owner or tenant.  Of course, that would be too simple, since FSA already has all that information.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

WCMO,   what you say makes sense.   Nothing from the farm bill has to make sense.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

WCMO, I will admit that I'm glad they didn't use an average of the last 6-8 years of production history.  If that were the case, I would have a slug of corn base acres that I would have no business having.  Yes, I fell into the trap of attempting dryland corn in Kansas while in the middle of a multi year drought, but hey in my defense that was the game we were playing at the time.  Plant the crop and walk to the mailbox and collect a nice insurance check.  Glad those days are behind me now, I definitely learned from my mistake.  I'm not finished playing with corn, but at least now I've got a livestock operation that can utilize the failed acres should they arise again in the future and we all know that they will.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Correct me if I'm wrong ....

..... but isn't the base and yield history only for a very minor part of the safety net? Normal crop insurance will still be based on actual history and yieds, correct? Unless prices or yields - or both really take a tumble? The changes in the base and yield will only apply to ARC or PLC. Niether is likely to play a big role in the farm program, though it is a baseline coverage.

The F2F programs essentially tried to free the decision of what a farmer would plant to allow the 'market' to determine acreage instead of the program. Though I don't think either ARC or PLC would be major influences.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong ....

Your understanding is the same as mine Pal.  The way I see it is the "2014 Farm Bill" offers very little safety net because it is run from base acres not planted acres but the crop insurance still covers what we plant.

0 Kudos