cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Vr Bucky, your rain IF is getting bleak

Smiley Very Happy  You gotta admit VR, what other business do the owners cheerlead lower prices for what they produce?   Does Shell Oil say Yipee!  they found more places to drill...we`re gonna have to sell oil for 10 bucks a barrel...I`m sooo happy!?   Does Chevy say Wonderful! Ford and Dodge made a glut of pickups...now we`re gonna have to sell them 50% cheaper now!  I`m sooo happy!?

But, believe it or not there are some farmers that say "Yay! Next year we get to sell corn $2 under our cost of production!  I am sooo happy, now we get to sign up for food stamps!!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Poor bucky. Yep, I just love selling a good crop at a discount...said no one ever. Well, just you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

It is very understandable that anyone that has product to sell wants the highest price possible. BUT the market gives the farmers tools to lock in prices (and at there % that they want). Right now the farmer and many of you say yields arent as high as the trade has priced in. What happens IF early Frost comes? Thus lost of yield.  Is that what producers what for higher prices??

Face it and admit it because I would like to have more hedged for my producers, many thought at least one weather scare. Now I would say even if we had a bounce many would look to higher prices. Dont blame USDA, traders or Mother Nature, the boat has sailed and many werent aboard. NO one wants to farm for insurance payments. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

While I understand your belwilderment at people seemingly cheerleading for lower prices, I am similarly bewildered by the MT crowd that seems to constantly cheer and hope for poor crops.  I would much rather have a big crop and low prices than a poor crop with high prices.  The past couple of weeks have been a constant barage on the other site of guys tripping over each other to proclaim the reasons why this crop isn't any good.  Relax folks.  This thing is far from over.  The jury is still out.  Yes, it is getting dry but there is still time for rain to do a lot of good in an extremely large portion of the cornbelt.  By the same token the shine has been off nationwide record breaking yield that some are crowing about for a while now.  We still have a shot at a very good corn crop but it isn't what it was ten days ago.  I don't know where it will end up but at this point is still has the potential to be somewhere between 165 and 170.  I find it far more plausible that it will be somewhere around 160, but time will tell.  You won't hear me becoming belligerent and sarcastic everytime some weather man comes out with a forecast for some rain.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

They are undersold and cranky. They also raised their cop by buying land and new paint maybe a new house for momma. It's their fault they didn't sell for a good price and instead listened to the perma bulls that said not to sell. Now their jealous of the prudent people that protected profit and are making money. People such as me and farm pro are made to look like evil people because we are smart enough to act like business men.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You don`t know that VR.  Just hope that the high stakes gambling that some of you guys do doesn`t bite you, selling crops that aren`t planted and in some cases the seed corn hasn`t been grown yet for the corn sold out on the board.  If someone can make all this money selling unplanted, unharvested crops...why even farm?  That`s just an extra risk dealing with the mud and dust.  Just sit in your pajamas at the computer and trade pure paper, if you like to gamble.   A gambler is never happy unless he`s broke.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Bucks arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

@vrbuck wrote:
They are undersold and cranky. They also raised their cop by buying land and new paint maybe a new house for momma. It's their fault they didn't sell for a good price and instead listened to the perma bulls that said not to sell. Now their jealous of the prudent people that protected profit and are making money. People such as me and farm pro are made to look like evil people because we are smart enough to act like business men.

True businessmen do not go around shooting their mouth off, telling others they made bad decisions.

Especially in agriculture for a crop yet to be harvested, yet to be determined, and a whole year or more ahead which to market.

How do you know that your positions will make the most money from this crop?  BUT YOU SURE CARRY ON LIKE THIS IS THE CASE...  THAT IS ARROGANCE, NOT A BUSINESSMAN.

...And you wonder why you got the boot from the other site?  Wow...

Highlighted
Advisor

Sometimes it is the quiet ones that are doing the best just not shouting it from the rooftops. All averages out in the end most of the time. If one was right all of the time then why risk putting a crop in the ground and not play the board? I think what gets guys wound up is the continual I told you so when in reality they may have been on the wrong end last go around and now trying to show how smart the are. We have all screwed the pooch at one time or another.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Buck. I don't understand why people get so agitated if someone projects a big crop and lower prices. The usda is lying to them. VR Buck is lying to them, yet when the crop prospects look obvious to most of us they are shocked if someone says I told you so.

I guess if you challenge their bullish stance you doubt their guru status. The I know stuff and don't doubt me syndrome.

0 Kudos