cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Walmart invests in Nebraska packing plant

1500hd/day,  planned facility to secure beef supplies for it`s stores.  I don`t know how I fell about it exactly, never bought meat at Walmart, always figured it was directly or indirectly from foreign sources.  I suppose it does provide liquidity to compete with the Big 4 packers.

https://brownfieldagnews.com/news/walmart-to-invest-in-rancher-owned-nebraska-processing-facility/   

0 Kudos
7 Replies
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Re: Walmart invests in Nebraska packing plant

Not a good deal for the farmer/rancher owners. Sounds like they are short on capital so “Walmart to the rescue.”  Hate to be cynical but don’t see it ending well for the rest of the investors 

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Kinda  - like  China  -  pork  -  maybe  ?   

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

China has the "Ractopamine card" they play conveniently when they want to back out of US pork agreements.  I guess I don`t blame them for wanting Racto-free pork, hogs on Paylean really bounce off the walls, if a human had it, they could run a marathon in about a hour and half.  

But all these profits the packers get, Walmart likes money and Country of Origin Labeling is a joke.  So to invest in struggling mid size processing plants is a method to "launder" foreign sourced meat.  JMO

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Captive  $upply  ,  equivalent  to  share  cropper  cotton ,  todays  chicken ,  pork ,  milk  =  =  =

B  T  O   feedlots ,  needing  financial  propping  up ,  wal-la ,   =  Washington  State  -  easter  basket  headlines  of  '''I  can  do  it  cheaper '',   UN-till   i  can't ,  when  the  house  of  cards  collapses   = = =    

Whom  is  the  accountant  that  does  the  paylean  audit  - ?  ?  ?  

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

How many chickens does Costco process at their facility?  Vertical integration been around for a long time.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

always nice to have an alternative to JBS.

Maybe with Walmart behind them might be harder for someone (JBS) to under cut them just long enough to break them?

sw363535
Honored Advisor

isc76cat.  good point.... It hasn't been a US meat vs the world meat market for a long time.  We are well on the trip to global food supply destinations.  Walmart is as close to a US company as we are going to get.