cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

War, A Shot Away

Ukraine Update: The agriculture sector is operating with multitudes of uncertainty. Iurii Mykhailov, a Ukrainian freelance writer for Agriculture.com, took the time today to update us on a possible full-fledged war in his country and its impact on the ag sector.

Full story: War Is A Shot Away

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: War, A Shot Away

It's a smart move on the part of Russia.  They know that we, the US, have been embroiled in war for a long time.  Are we willing to again commit to more years of fighting over there?  Russia knows it went bankrupt fighting the war in Afganistan - right next to it's border.  And here we are, on the other side of the world, still trying the same thing.  And for what?  Blood feuds, involving religion, that have been there for a thousand years, with neither side willing to give, and will probably be there no matter what Western values we try to instill in the people there.  (It sounds like our Congress).

We didn't fix anything when we went in with our guns blaring and our bombs bursting in air.  Russia knows it, the American people know it.  And now we're trying to blame a president that inherited the mess, and is trying to get out with as little egg on our nations face as we can.  Are we, the American people, ready for what could be an even bloodier war in Ukraine?  And our exit strategy is - What?  Tell you what - our last non-exit strategy doesn't look so good right now.  Where's all the oil coming from that we were told was going to come from the Middle East to fight these wars with?  Canada - probably.  This thing we're in is like the time share I talked about on the other thread.  Easy to get into, and now we're commited for who knows how long with an open check book, the balance of which is looking pretty bleak.  We cannot stand alone against the world.  We're bleeding, and with out a means to make it stop.

Jen

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Can anyone tell me what would be so bad if Russia took over Ukraine?  I`m not being mean here, it`s just I haven`t heard how things would be worse under Putin.  If a Ukrainian owns a farm or business would Putin confiscate it?

I`m afraid the US is war weary and will be of limited help, the Europeans see winter coming and aren`t anxious to antagonize their NG supplier.

But Putin has nukes and doesn`t strike me as the type that is going to back down.  I know people can draw parallels to "appeasing Hitler pre WWII"  but, I have to be yet convinced that Putin is another Hitler.

I honestly don`t know at this point.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

But Putin has nukes and doesn`t strike me as the type that is going to back down.  I know people can draw parallels to "appeasing Hitler pre WWII"  but, I have to be yet convinced that Putin is another Hitler.

But you are convinced that barack Obama is another Hitler or Stalin! Right?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well Don, I've lived under the Obama regime for 6 years now, Putin is half a world away. Do you think they'd want Obama for awhile? Smiley Happy

I just heard on the other radio that there might be a deal for pro Russians in Ukraine to get autonomy in exchange for peace. Hopefully that could end this and Putin saving face.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is highly unlikely the Ukrainian people will put up with giving up what little freedom they have This is as close as they have come since the very brief period of autonomy between the world wars. They fought a vicious clandestine war against the Russians after WWII that lasted into the 1950's. I find it hard to believe the Germans or Poles would back an agreement putting the Russian bear at their doorstep again.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Putin is in a bad spot; if he comes this far and accomplishes nothing then he will look weak to the Russian people. Winter is also coming soon. Nobody wants to fight a war in the winter, not even the Russians. Russia lost in Afghanistan because of their brutal tactics. They made enemies out of the entire Afghan population. Russia will either invade very soon, try to cut a deal that makes them appear victorious, or wait to invade in the springtime. Just my former-soldier point of view.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Unfortunately any concession to Putin will lead to more demands. That's his game.

This is Europe's big issue. NATO is now forming a fast reaction deployment army - which is the only thing Putin will understand. The fact that Obama does not take the tried and failed tactic of getting over extended is exactly for the reason that Europe is most effected and Europe needs to take responsibility. Germany stands to get hurt worst and is still countering Putin's propoganda and willing to enforece more sanctions. This how it should work.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

A couple of things. First, a cornered animal
Is most dangerous.

We know more sanctions are on the way, but
Just what can we do? Europe is scared
Of having natural gas shut off (talk about
People that need to look at alternative energy).

The threat if they take over Ukraine to
Us, none.,....except they got away with
it.

But that is bad enough

Who's next?
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Allways keep in mind that Putin's background/training is KGB.

Europe must be seen as taking the lead in challenging him.

America's role is to help give them the backbone to stand up to him.

Follow the money and do everything possible to stop the financing of his plans.

0 Kudos