cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Was the 13 corn crop that big?

Recent change in the basis here, has caused me to wonder, How large was last years corn crop?  From a -40 to -9 is quite a move with a large crop coming in. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Was the 13 corn crop that big?

I think it depends greatly on where you live as to what your basis is. There were areas that had a poor crop for a couple years in a row that are probably having to bid up to source corn. The other thing is that prices have dropped far enough that many guys have decided to try to ride it out and catch a rally. Yes, the 2013 crop WAS that big.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Local E-plant is raising basis........Guys there are wondering where all of this farmer stored corn is.......and.......this is in an area that saw record yields last year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We don't know.  No one is actually counting.  But we do know that the supposition of a 850m carryout is not enough to redistribute to need. 2012 taught us that,  And I would guess that a percentage of carryout at these prices, is not available, freight is a bigger issue as a % of cost.

That's my input ------ and it is much more valid than ever in history, because it is "computer generated".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

46 it may be more to just how big was 2012 ? same thing here - we had the best corn sence we farmed in 13  - along with many others - yet  there was no piles outside - why ? because every bin and flat storage at the elevators was empty is why - well anyway thats my guess .

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Our area was way above record last year and we are now at +6. Maybe the elivators have August and September contracts they need to fill. Maybe farmers are holding back some, trying to get a good pre harvest price Like last year. Maybe...
0 Kudos