cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Weather Extreme Record?

....in 1 state in 1 day.....are you kidding me???

Story from TheWeatherChannel.com.

The driving distance from Dalhart, Texas, in the northern Texas Panhandle, to Laredo, along the Rio Grande River, is roughly 750 miles, or just over 11 hours.

That said, an incredible temperature contrast set up on April 9.

Just before midnight, Dalhart bottomed out at 22 degrees behind a plunging cold front.   For perspective, the all-time April record low, there, is 17 degrees.

In Laredo, the daytime high was 108 degrees.  Last year, Laredo didn't warm to 108 degrees or warmer until June 10.

That makes an 86 degree temperature contrast across the state of Texas on April 9.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor

Re: Weather Extreme Record?

The weather is doing what the weather does best--rise, dive, shift, change, Extreme.

Speaking of April 9, back in 1973 on that date the Midwest experienced a powerful snow storm. 15 + inches of wet snow with 50 and 60MPH winds!!  We were calving at the time and did lose a few cows and calves. The temp dropped to 20* that night.  The next day we got sunburned pushing snow. (Bright, high April sun reflecting off very white snow.)  Some of the main roads where closed for 2 days. That storm still ranks at the top for snow storms.  Corn was planted late that year but we had a good crop.

Wind

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That does seem extreme and amazing. But Texas is a big state, and as you said 750 miles. I'd like to know if there has been bigger differences over a similar distance. Maybe like Chicago to Memphis (just over 500 miles). Winter 2012 on our work computer the three cities that were Newark and Wheelersburg, Ohio and Savana, GA. Lots, if not most days Wheelersburg's temperarure was closer to Savana than Newark. If anyone wants to look these areas up and try to come up with an explanation I'd be happy to here them.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Looks like we are also setting up monsoonal flow...not. I predict another hot and dry year here. Talked to an individual today that said there is no grass from here to Santa Fe. Might want to plant haygrazer rather than anything else on marginal water areas this year.
0 Kudos