cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Weather Watcher for Tuesday, April 14

Hey, all. Here's a collection of some of the weather sites I've been perusing the last few days for info. Thought no better time than now to share it as I've found a few new places in just the last couple of days that have some pretty good information. What do you think? Other sources like these that you find useful?

Check it out here. Appreciate your feedback!

MRCC Midwest Climate Watch - Highlights and Reports

Read More at mrcc.isws.illinois.edu

NASS - Publications - Current State Crop Progess and Condition Reports

USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service Information. NASS publications cover a wide range of subjects, from traditional crops, such as corn and wheat, to specialties, such as mushrooms and flowers; from calves born to hogs slaughtered; from agricultural prices to land in farms. The agency has the distinction of being known as The Fact Finders of U.S.

Read More at Gov

United States Drought Monitor

Read More at Unl

Weather: Precipitation, Soil Temperature, Growing Degree Days, ET and other data | CropWatch | Unive...

High Plains Regional Climate Center (HPRCC) provides weather data for a number of Nebraska sites and links to local, regional, and national climate resources. See the Climate Products section for daily updates and archived records of average temperatures, total precipitation, average soil temperature, average relative humidity, average solar radiation, and average wind speed.

Read More at cropwatch.unl.edu

Iowa Environmental Mesonet

Iowa State University, Iowa Environmental Mesonet

Read More at mesonet.agron.iastate.edu

Weather

Tweets by @FreeseNotisWx EVENING WEATHER UPDATE - 5:10 PM CDT Monday, April 13, 2015 MIDWEST U.S. - Today, a cold front brought rain to southern IL, IN, southern MI, and western OH. Most of these areas received .1-.25+ inches of rain, with some spots seeing up to .5+ inches.

Read More at Agriculture

CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network

3,741 daily precipitation reports received today as of 4/14/2015 8:31 AM EDT The saying " COCORAHS ACROSS THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS! Rain doesn't fall the same on all" really proves to be true. How often have you seen it rain in your neighborhood and a few blocks away not a drop has fallen.

Read More at www.cocorahs.org

Freese-Notis Weather (@FreeseNotisWx) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Freese-Notis Weather (@FreeseNotisWx). Weather forecasts for world-wide agricultural and energy interests. Harnessing the power of weather since 1973. Des Moines, IA

Read More at Twitter

USDA Weekly Weather & Crop Bulletin

Read More at usda.mannlib.cornell.edu

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: The bottom is In on grains,

there simply is not a bottle Nor a genie to fix the big Dry on Most of the USA.

heck: OR, CA, WA, ID, UT, AZ, and NM is ALL Big Dry ( just was not any snow again).

now figure the ND, MN, SD, NE, IA area of the I 29 corridor....jeez the usa might not even grow much corn to go with the missing fruits, nuts, veggies, etc..

the "whole" of the USA is essentially a Big DRY sog.  MO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Weather Watcher for Tuesday, April 14

Those all seem fair enough Jeff, but I'll bet each and everyone of them looks at a computer and uses a computer generated model for their forecasts.

I think one is as bad as, I mean as good as the other but NONE of them have a passing grade. Only my opinion of course, but my local TV and radio stations are all flunking as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Appreciate your comments, gents! Yeah, it was supposed to rain here on Sunday and I was banking on that so I wouldn't have to go out and do yardwork and get in my dang garden, but they lied and it was sunny and warm, so I had to get off my rear end! Dang it! Ha!

I've been working the last couple of weeks on a story on the drought in California. Well, it's going to have to be about half a dozen stories, I think. Have talked to a bunch of people. Wright, you are absolutely correct. It is beyond serious out there. Most folks I talked to sort of sound like they're giving it one more year and if it doesn't start raining, they'll basically have to take the most drastic measures. One guy even said he was looking at moving to another state, including Iowa or Indiana, possibly. I asked him if his California kiester could handle -20 temps during winter around here and he just laughed. They're farmers, so they're naturally optimstic, but it is indeed developing into a tragic situation. Hopefully I'll get something written on it by the end of the week! 

I'm shakin' a leg and doin' a rain dance for you, Shaggster! Ha! Have a great night, guys.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Wouldn't a better story be that of the disconnect between the boards and the
Actual conditions out here?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The disconnect between the board and the Plains is normal. Traders don't want to be caught going out the door so they tend to over react to a possible change in circumstance. Rain starts with a real event - or even a forecast. A droght can take a long time for outsiders to accept as nonreversable at some point as far as damage to yields, or potential yields. Those who don't have first hand knowledge don't realize 1" of rain on the Plains may not reverse the situation if not followed up quickly.

In the end the story WILL be known. Traders can make money both ways. But like the buffalo, they are watching the others of their kind to react to 'danger', not necessarily the grass beside them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mr. Caldwell was catching up on some reading and in one of your articles I noticed you said I was from the Dalhart TX area used to haul spuds there but am really from NESD and it is dry here could be very serious shortly and with the big south winds again today lookinh for some extra rocks. 

0 Kudos