cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Weekend off topic

Was in an Amish settlement this afternoon/evening one of the farms I was at.

ResizedImage_1390608351046.jpgResizedImage_1390608335434.jpgResizedImage_1390608217077.jpg

Was cut day before yesterday and picked up this evening.

Ice here in extreme South Podunk Country is 11 inches thick, might get thicker next week. They said this would be the last ice they put up this year.

10 Replies
Advisor

Re: Weekend off topic

thanks for the pics hobby. I like the saw

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hobby 

What is the storage process and how long can they make it last?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There are both saws in the pict. A crosscut one is laying on the circular saw (these are their "chain saws")

At this farm they have a room in the corner of the barn that they lay down a thick layer of saw dust then stack layers of ice and layers of sawdust then bury/cover it in saw dust and it will last them all summer.

On more affluent farms they will have a dedicated ice house. Many are now made out of about 18 in thick Styrofoam sprayed with a couple more inches of foam. To seal the joints and protect it from vermin. Most of those are about 20 ft square and no saw dust mess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Around here the Amish would try to sell ice, if it was cold enough most years, and tell everyone it was worth three time what ice is at the store. Just because it was Amish. They have gotten themselves into a bad reputation with many of us "English".
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My Great, Great Grandpa use to get a job in the winter time cutting ice out of the Missouri river near Nebraska City,,,course that was before it was channeled and what not.   Around home here the farmers use to have "ice houses"  they would pack straw around the ice and it would last all summer long.   Its weird how much straw can insulate.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Some of us can remember the old icebox in the kitchen. The folks must have bought the ice in town because I don't remember any ice storage. Refrigerator must of come about the mid to late 40's deep freeze a bit later. TV in 1953. Electricity 1936 a mere 4 years before me. First Rural electric cooperative in Iowa. Third in the naton.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My mom has an old time wooden ice box in her basement that is in supreme condition. Little did she know that when here little boy was in school back in the day that it was also a good place to hide some beverages from ones parents. HA HA
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

how's this for marketing and eye candy?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: how's this for marketing and eye candy?

Damit Hobby - My cheechs and side are hurting from - lmao -

0 Kudos