cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wind
Advisor

Weekly rain totals?

At the beginning of the week the weatherman was calling for 2 to 4 inches of rain for Iowa.  My gauge recorded 2.44" for the week.

Two different storms,  there are some ponds in the fields.  80% of the corn in and some beans going in too.  I was just wondering what was your weekly rain total?  A truth from the past "RAIN MAKES GRAIN" ?  Just wonder too if the rain missed any out there that was predicted? A much drier week a head.

Central  Iowa.

Take care

Wind

0 Kudos
9 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Weekly rain totals?

NW Ohio...last week, my rain gauge had 1.6"...with more on the way today. I would say 80-90% of the corn is in and 10-15% of the soybeans are in around these parts.

0 Kudos
rusureofit
Frequent Contributor

Central MN here we had 3.3 inches from wednesday through sunday.  Some places had more and some a little less.  We have a little ponding here but not much since we were so dry before, but there is a lot of ponding just 10 miles south of here where they have been getting more rain all spring.  Just 15 miles northwest of here they had less than half the rain we had and will probably be back in the field today.   A few still have some corn left to plant  and many have started beans here.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

We had about 3.5" for the week, in Central Nebraska.  Totals from guys I talked to range from around 1 inch, up to 6+.  We had at 3 or 4 days with supercell thunderstorms, so the coverage is very spotty, with almost everyone who got rain, getting at least some hail, from a few stones here and there, to hail 3 inches deep.

0 Kudos
centralillinois
Veteran Contributor

From last Wednesday until Sunday morning, we received three inches of rain, but yesterday and last night we tallied an additional three inches.  Twenty miles north of me took in over eight inches in the last week but twenty miles south of me they were planting corn yesterday.  Rain is predicted for tonight.  Gravel roads have been washed out in areas.  The field damage is discouraging.  Even though a lot of ground is either no-tilled or strip tilled gullies are bound to occur with this much precipitation.  yikes

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

It seems like the storms of late are real gully washers.  The rain rate per hour Sunday topped out at 8.73".  Some damage here too.

Wind

0 Kudos
67guy
Veteran Contributor

Had about 1.5" slow inches here this week.  We were luck and missed pounding rains not that far away.  Corn planting is probably 90% complere here and off to a great start.  I would say bean planting is less than 10%.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

.9" last Sunday thru Wednesday, a couple tenths a night.  1.8" this morning with some areas that received a good shower Friday now having standing water.  NW Ohio

0 Kudos
jonnybegood
Contributor

.3 sunday will go to beans tue morn.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

About 2" here, but much heavier not 20 miles away.  I'll be back in the field Tuesday.

0 Kudos