Honored Advisor

Weld the bin and finishing house doors!

The meeting President Trump had with Xi went good!   China agrees to buy more farm stuff and label opioids as "bad stuff".    Trump 2020!  

Senior Contributor

Re: Weld the bin and finishing house doors!

Markets will rebound so that you have a chance to lock in $4.25 Dec 2019 corn futures, $10.40 November 2019 soybean futures, a chance to secure a profit on 2019 production, yet many will fail to act, and be left crying next fall once again. Human nature rarely fails.

Does sound bullish, though.

Honored Advisor

Mark Gold always says "you`ll always have one opportunity to at a profit" and the past 3,4 years, those that stick their neck out in December/January do the best.  Question is, is that strategy going to be the same for the 5th year in a row? 

It sounds like there will be a acreage battle, with possibly some farmers not going for their 10th year of corn on corn  Smiley Happy

Perhaps the spring crop insurance guarantee will be better than we were thinking a day or two ago?

Visitor

profit on 2019 production, yet many will fail to act, and be left crying next fall once again. Human nature rarely fails.

Contributor

If Mark Gold was so wise he wouldn’t be selling the farmer his information, instead he would be keeping  his marketing tactics secret and would be 110% vested in the market and would be a billionaire! He has no risk selling a farmer his services, he always wins even when the farmer loses! When he had a local meeting and bragged about his divorces costing him millions and then wants a per trade or bushel fee from me..count me out! 

Honored Advisor

I agree about Mark Gold...something about "farming is easy when a pencil is your plow...." .  on the 2018 crop the best cash price offered was $3.75 corn and $9.70 beans and I believe those offers came in the midst of rainy planting delays and lasted a day or 2.  

$3.75 corn and $9.70 beans are at, below or slightly above cost of production in most cases, not something a sane person would jump on with the rain pouring down and not a wheel turned in the field on the 20th of May.  "But yeah, there it was folks, shoulda sold your APH on May 20th, now don`t ever say I didn`t give you anything".

Senior Contributor

They didn’t agree to anything, just to hold off on the additional tariffs increase at the first of the year. You forget this idiot put us in this position in the first place. Only two years of taking it on the chin to get 18c. #impeach # lock him up
Senior Contributor

This (( Idiot)) as you call him, is doing what the other Presidents did not have the guts to do because they were more worried about getting reelected than what was best for the country. If you think China stealing secrets and running such a huge trade deficit is ok  then I guess you are more concerned about calling people crooks and idiots then what is best for the country as a whole. Maybe you should run for president and let those of us farm that know how to plan for some lean years when we have good years .Do not know how old you are or how long you have been farming but you should know how it has pretty much always been ,good years and bad years if it was easy everybody would do it! I do not post very often ,do not know much about computers but if I can figure out how to ignore your post on this thing I am going to.grains are up pretty good today. Maybe this will not get moved before you read it now that I said something about the markets.

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

The huge trade deficit with China and the rest of the world was financed with money borrowed from China and the rest of the world. When you take into account the fact that we were exporting dollars (debt) it puts the trade imbalance into a new perspective.

China sends us goods (even if they are cheap plastic Walmart goods) and we send them dollars created out of thin air.

More surprisingly Saudi Arabia and other oil producers send us oil, consumable calories, and we send them dollars created out of thin air.

The US problem isnt trade imbalance. The US problem is the financialization of everything. Mortgages securitized and bundled and sliced and diced and sold. A lot of activity with a slice siphoned off at every transaction but no real economic growth. Corporate stock buybacks that drive stock prices higher that drive executive compensation. The only problem is the buybacks are financed thru debt not earnings on cash flow. Debt was added, stock prices went up, but nothing was really added to the ability of the company to produce more.