cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Well It Was Bound To Happen

The Hy-Vee Inc grocery chain announced that it is recalling five different product lines of its privately branded dog food. The products, all manufactured by a Kansas City, Kansas, Pro-Pet plant, were recalled across eight Midwestern
states due to elevated levels of aflatoxin
0 Kudos
25 Replies
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Re: Well It Was Bound To Happen

ECIN,

could this cause the entire supply situation in Corn have a little different flavor?

---.Wikipedia---

The toxin can also be found in the milk of animals that are fed contaminated feed.

ppbCriterion
20 For all food for human consumption and for corn and other grains intended for immature animals (including immature poultry) and for dairy animals, or when its destination is not known, and for animal feeds, other than corn or cottonseed meal
100 For corn and other grains intended for breeding beef cattle, breeding swine, or mature poultry
200 For corn and other grains intended for finishing swine of 100 pounds or greater
300 For corn and other grains intended for finishing (i.e., feedlot) beef cattle, and for cottonseed meal intended for beef cattle, swine or poultry.
0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Does the pet food industry have a "tighter" standard than other animal feeds?  Just curious.

0 Kudos
Faust100F
Advisor

@ECIN wrote:
The Hy-Vee Inc grocery chain announced that it is recalling five different product lines of its privately branded dog food. The products, all manufactured by a Kansas City, Kansas, Pro-Pet plant, were recalled across eight Midwestern
states due to elevated levels of aflatoxin

ECI - I thought you were talking about that meat in the meat case at their stores that is soakd in Red Dye.  Last year I called the Headquarters in DSM and asked them if they had any without Red Dye on it, and they assured me that, the meat was provided by the Amish and that was its natural color.

Well . . . I kinda know what meat looks like on a freshly slaughtered steer, and what it looks like after it has hung in a cooler for a few weeks, and it looks nothing like the hamburger or steaks in the Hy-vee meat counter.  I think the Amish are hood winking Hy-Vee or they are lying.  Actually, I think I know who purchased all the red slime that surfaced last year. Just sayin . . . John

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Wind, i was guessing it was in the 20-100 range b/c dog food is in the "other" category. But, have no idea for sure. Wiki went on to say.............

Low levels of aflatoxin exposure require continuous consumption for several weeks to months in order for signs of liver dysfunction to appear.[13] Some articles have suggested the toxic level in dog food is 100–300 ppb and requires continuous exposure/consumption for a few weeks to months to develop aflatoxicosis.[14] No information is available to suggest that recovered dogs will later succumb to an aflatoxin-induced disease

0 Kudos
Bugeye
Senior Contributor

It's gonna put a helluva strain on the cat market if people can't feed their dogs out.
0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Maybe it'll create a market for "cat scat."-------you know how dogs love their delicacies!!!

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Ok here , Been on the phone with my main man on this subject , Pet food fall's under the 20 ppb , He told me that most of the end users here that use corn that would go into human type food had lowered there standards , say instead of 20 ppb down to like 5 , reason is that theres a 3 to 1 ratio then corn is used in ddg's , with that said , when they use corn with 5 ppb afla it would come out at 15 ppb , that keeps the products below FDA standards and safe .

Most dog food has like 20  protein in it --- Now class , What amount of protein is in ddg's ??????  c-x-1 did I hear you say 20 % ?  Good job !  and that the bad dog food probably had use some ddg's that was over the limit and sliped though .

BTW Afla to Dog's is very toxic , it will shut down there Kidneys !

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

OMG......our family 10 year old dog just died out of the blue two days ago.....He appeared to be very healthy and showed absolutely no signs of sickness.   

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

don't see a smiley face roarin'---you serious???

0 Kudos