cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Well, the Chinese were trying to buy some soybeans, we just won't let them.

Below is a chart showing Chinese soybean imports over the past 12 months along with US exports to China.  Of the 82.5 million metric tonne they imported, they managed to get 12.4 MMT from us but just when they started to get shipments going, we cut them off.

It's just as well,  the new president of Brazil, Bolsonaro  has earned the nickname, Captain Chainsaw.  He's determined to turn the Amazon  into one big soybean patch so we don't really need to grow soybeans anymore, anyways.

Chinese soybean imports-page-001.jpg
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Advisor

Darn

I want captain chainsaw's help to turn the amazon into a cattle ranch. 

Not a soybean field. 

Truly now,  it depends on China. 

They are investing 100s of billions into BR Agri and Agri lands development Now. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: Well, the Chinese were trying to buy some soybeans, we just won't let them.

Ok... Trump killed most ag. exports to China and just exempted over 30 fuel suppliers from "federal" minimum ethanol mandates. Rural income is down over 28 percent in my region. Why are his policies (and popularity) so wonderful with rural voters?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This "war" had to happen at some point...or the result would eventually be peacefully handing the keys and pink slip over to the Chinese and address them by "sir".  This is probably the last chance to save the country....oh I know you guys think you`d be selling $12 bean now had Hillary won.  However, agriculture has been the spoiled baby child in the family, having it artificially good at the expense of the other siblings in the family, most of us can see that.

The US and Brazil have had 5 above trend yields, the high prices of 2012 destroyed a lot of demand, China lost half their hog herd and they are expecting irrational concessions by the US in order for us to sell $8 Billion in soybeans to them, it`s a rounding error to the trade deficits that they`ve forced us to accept.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

BA  I'm through'n  the BS flag on the Chinese forced a 400 billion trade deficit on us.  We us the US keep buying their s... It's not their fault we are dumber than a post. If Trump wants to fix the trade deficit shut off the Chinese imports.  As in a total embargo its what China has done to our exports.  He does seem to be much of a for real counter puncher.  He can call names just fine but not much good at getting things done.    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Popspoppe, well you see what happens when we attempt (tariffs) to peacefully resolve our trade deficit with the Chinese, they shut off ag imports from the US completely.  By some reports the trade deficit actually went up after we imposed the tariffs, we have been the timid kid willingly handing over our lunch money, but the day we don`t hand it over with the appropriate smile, they punch us in the nose.

If Chinese was a reputable trading partner, when it was brought to their attention that our balance of trade was too lopsided in their favor, they would`ve did something to at least gave the appearance that they gave a frig about being honest.

I think a embargo would be a nuclear option and at best burn all bridges to trade with them, at worst bring about a worldwide recession that few countries could weather.  Right now we`re just in the cutting off each others neckties and throwing pies in the faces phase.  

I`ve said before that there`s a lot of negotiating room with a $400 billion trade deficit, if we were dealing with a reasonable nation, China would offer to buy 2 billion bushel of beans and dump half in the ocean if they couldn`t use them, just to keep their number one customer of crap happy. 

I`m not at all under the illusion that we could get the trade to balance the books.  What would be reasonable is for China to buy exclusive US ag products and maybe cut the trade deficit with them to $300 billion, then Trump could declare victory and we all win.  But the longer this drags out, the more irrational they become and if it drags into the 2020 election, they are selohssa. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

400 billion  to  US      vs.    ALL  of  our  Soybeans    =    ?   

Remeber  previously  ,  about  6  months   ago  ,  the  howl  was  someone  was  going  to  ''' close  the  Rio Grand  '''  border,  &   before  that   Mexico  was   paying  for  that  waLL  deal - ? 

Been  to  the  Laredo  crossing  lately,  LOTS  of  North  Bound  Freight ,   although  no  pe$o's   in  the  waLL  account  - - -

Seems   the  deck  is  dealt  in  the  '''   easy  to  win  hand '''   -   read'm   and  weep  -  maybe  ?   

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hey BA:

Your Trump is a bald faced liar "Mexico will pay for the wall"; "China will pay for the tariffs";"I'll come up with a far better deal than NAFTA". All LIES. What has he done for rural america- us farmers specifically? Oh yeah-pissed off most of our ag. trading partners and allowed his petroleum buddies to blow off the ethanol mandate we worked hard to get. I don't believe Hillary would have done any better but he's just screwing us over (and over and over...)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

China has been indirectly paying the tariffs by "eating the cost" that`s why prices haven`t went up here.  But even if US consumers do have to pay more for Chinese products, Good! force them to buy American or from a country that`s a more reasonable trading partner.  If it comes down to consumers paying the tariff one day, live without that plastic lawn jockey.

A product has a "certain cost" to manufacture, that is pay workers a living wage so they don`t starve or require taxpayers to subsidize the factory owner`s labor expense, provide safe working conditions and be environmentally responsible ...and China strikes out on all counts.  What we`ve effectively done is exported US pollution to China.

But you soybean growers (and I am one) we aren`t special children riding in the short bus, we`ve rode piggyback on US labor far too long.   They`ve sacrificed more than you`ll ever know for our precious $10, $12 beans.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mexico did pull their heads out and stop Mexicans that were coming in from Guatemala ...that`s a good thing.  Mexico is paying for the wall (indirectly) through better trade deals with them.  And illegal aliens cost US taxpayers $100 billion a year, a wall costs $25 billion....that`s a no-brainer.   Pays better ROI than spraying fungicide   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos