cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Well... the beans DID look good

The beans in our area were looking really good,for the year we’ve had. All of a sudden bam everything showed up. White mold, brown stem rot and sudden death. We went on a road trip for about 200 miles this weekend and wow. There isn’t one field that doesn’t have something. Personally I was thinking about 40-45 bushel this year. Now honestly it’s more like 20-25 . There are many quarters out there that just plain turned brown within the last week. Local paper just had 8 more large farm auctions announced. I know all of them and there not retiring. Unless they’ve made  so much money to retire in there 40’s and 50’s . It hasn’t been good for awhile now and it looks like it’s gonna stay that way. I’m really worried about some of these guys mental health out there. Everybody I have talked to is so down we really need something to change 

9 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Well... the beans DID look good

Location?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Flew back yesterday and.....

Flew back from Korea and couldn't see too well from 30,000 feet but in the course of landing to make connections did drop down once to 15,000 feet or less for a good bit.

A lot of those Midwestern soybean fields look like they got the measles, some of them, a bad case of acne.  All those drown-outs show up real well from 10,000 but I bet not so much driving by from the road.  It makes you wonder if the USDA's sampling method takes that all into account.  I won't wonder if the satellite guys haven't already written a algorithm for measuring them.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'll bet Cargill has better satellites.  Anybody have their access code?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Some of the best data available is from Indigo Atlas. They have extremely smart scientist on staff based upon my interactions with them. Latest numbers from them are well below NASS.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Minnesota 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks  arctanderfarmer

Imo -- nass is way off but my bet is we see articles in the media on the following topics before we see a correction by usda.... Corrections from them will take two years or more.  We all understand blending of problem grain..... With usda it is blending of fantacy data.  It takes time   ------ Remember how long it takes to blend out a bad spot in a bin...... well usda has stink in the air..... 

Watch for 

"Soybeans may not be the protein source of the future"

China developing a new protein source  "or more likely"  China discovers meat protein replacement for human diets.

Livestock feeding too antiquated for modern society.  

Frequent Contributor

China has been replacing pork with basically any protein source they can find.   Duck farmers are the "new millionaires."  There really isn't much they won't eat.   In an Asian grocery store, every part of the animal is for sale.  They waste nothing.

I'm torn between admiration and aversion for their eating habits.

Sadly, they've been wreaking havoc lately with worldwide donkey populations as the meat is considered a delicacy in China and they have decimated their own donkey populations.

https://www.goldthread2.com/food/chinas-appetite-donkey-meat-wreaking-havoc-africa/article/3009041

They're kinda like The Borg.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Made me think of deputy Festus Haggan's mule ......... Ruth.    Mans best friend.  ...... on the grill.

Up is down and down is up.... = comment the other day by 289...... A government that has imprisoned and isolated its population for the last 70 years.  Controled their movement, nourishment. possessions, reproduction, education, speech, publication, and innovation throughout that time.  So corrupt that we can't deal with citizen without the central governments approval.  They don't allow tourist travel inside the country without approval and supervision.  Or foreign press open publication...... Even Reuters cant get a picture or a look at what they are told to put in print.      Yet we are dependent on China for successful agriculture in the US?????     

Open supplier to the Columbian drug cartels ........ Why would we be trading with them...... And if we did its cash or gold only prior to shipment.   But the picture of those containers in Oakland is vivid........... We are fools.

The west coast wants us to compete with China................  kiss up to China....... .if this greed doesnt kill us we will eventually wake up in a tent by a portapotty and start over.   Hope Ruth is still with us, we will need her to plant a little wheat.

Honored Advisor

And........that same west coast is the reason why we need to keep the electoral college.

China is not our friend.  They don't want to just "get along" with the U.S. , they want to dominate the U.S.