cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Went to the Pots and Pans show yesterday

Yesterday was the first day of the Great Iowa Pots and Pans Show (AKA Iowa State Fair).

Almost everywhere you went on the grounds there was a booth or tent with either a pot or cooking mat sales person or a kiosk with a big pot of hot grease selling something on a stick.

Still lots to see and do, really liked the "Mongo" show up under the wind turbine on the hill.

Kind of fun watching the people stomping grapes up by Grandfathers barn and the story telling up in Pioneer hall. Been thinking about joining that group. Right next to the stage was the tall corn exibit and the tallest one this year was 21 ft 4 inches tall.

Sure are a lot of great photo's from around Iowa and the World up in the old 4 H dorm building.

Supported the Turkey farmers for lunch with a Huge drumstick and Grater Tators. Iowa is way up on the list on turkey production too. Don't talk much about that on this site.

Had a great ending to the day with the good meal at the "Cattleman's quarters" with Jr from this site and his wife and whole brood of not so little young'uns. Nice visit with them. I thought my Prime rib was a little bigger and better than in years gone by.

Had a good day.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Went to the Pots and Pans show yesterday

The Kansas State Fair is about a month away, I'm not sure what it holds for us this year. Usually that is what starts our rainy season. LOL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

They guy who has the building we were helping with is headed there tomorrow. He has a grandson in the peddle tractor pull. Four years old and undefeated. Last year he won the national championship, this year he's going for the world peddle tractor championship. Four years old and ninety pounds. Hope he makes it but they are preparing him for the possibility of losing to a Russian girl named Olga who is also four years old and ninety pounds. Got a beard too.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Just shaken' my head here.  Bug I'm hoping you're kidding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No I am not kidding. This kid is a brute! After he won the nationals last year the other parents were wondering where he trained. Apparently they take this stuff pretty seriously. This kid doesn't train, he's just a bull of a kid. The guy said most of the kids are young but HUGE. Some can't sit on the seat and get their legs up high enough to reach the peddles so they have to use their hands to pull their legs up. lol. BTW the Olga part might be made up...Maybe not though, we'll see.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Apparently this four year old kid can pull a 275 pound sled out the gate on a peddle tractor. lol.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Yea it was a good time! Nice and cool, very few people so you could get around without rubbin against everybody.  Pots and pans everywhere was my observation.  I do not get the stuff folks buy at the fair. UNREAL is all I can say,  Eat lots of fried food.,watched some of the Brown swiss and Jersey shows (those are dairy cows for the uneducated amongst us)  Fri. was the holstien show couldn't make it back for that.  Apparently Reagencrest crosssed with anything is gonna win this year because that was half the cattle there. 

Finally got to meet up with this guy from Podunk. Had a good time just chattin.

Thanks for a great end of the day Hobby!  Oh and say thanks to your misses to!Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I haven't gone to the MN State Fair in years........ I hate fighting crowds. And when you look down a street and people from side to side for as far as you can see..... Yeah that's fun. Waiting in line for 30 minutes to get a malt at the Midwest dairy assn booth, or for all the milk you can drink booth isn't my idea of a good time. I do wonder what I did wrong though..... Some of those food vendors make enough in the 12 days of the fair they don't need to work the rest of the year.

Glad you got to meet guber and his family, Hobby. I got to greet and meet them for about 5 minutes last fall. Real good family. Although Jr definitely out kicked his coverage on the gal he got!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My daughter and family was at the Iowa state fair yesterday. They texted a picture of two year old Shelby Sue "milking the cow" with and excited look on her face. I suppose she got educated where milk really come from.

I suppose when she get back to Tulsa she will be complaining about ethanol! Lol!

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Kraft ---- occasionally my sense of humor is in the right place -------- good one.

Jr ------- thanks for helping the old folks remember to eat.   Smiley Happy   Sorry I wasn't there to defend myself.

0 Kudos