cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were 2011 soybean yields really near trendline?

I am surprised by soybean yields being advertised as near trendline considering the widespread early frost that effected some soybean producing states such as Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota.  All of my low lying farms yielded well below average.  We pulled in to harvest a creek bottom field after dark.  The numbers on the yield monitor were so low we spent an hour looking for holes in the combine where the grain was escaping only to realize how bad the frost had hurt the yields.  I have a hard time believing that I am the only one this happened to.  I plant the same maturity and probably plant as early as anyone in the area.  I have heard similar stories from other producers.  I think the soybean supply is considerably less than what is being published.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Were 2011 soybean yields really near trendline?

Local soy yields here (central Nebraska) were the best ever, for the spring planted beans.  Not so good on double crop after wheat, but that is usually iffy, anyway.

We had lots of sunshine, and little rain.  That let the farmers who irrigate, put on just as much water as they needed, at just the time needed, for maximum yield, and the hot dry weather kept the diseases down, and bugs away.

0 Kudos
docharing
Veteran Contributor

Central Ohio yields below average, we had poor test weight which really sunk our yields. Debate as to blame weather (hot-dry) or RR gene.

0 Kudos
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

We are in NW MN, planted all our beans between June 4th and 8th 2/3 of them no-till.  I can't remember when it froze in Sept but it did.  1/3 of our beans were average and the other 2/3 was 15-20% above average.

0 Kudos
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

Here in N/C Iowa my beans averaged 5 bpa over my 5yr avg of 51bpa. RR2's I've had for the last 2 years have been 5-7 bpa better than the RR's. My 2.5's were hurt by frost but still avged 52 bpa. My 2.0's all RR2's were in the 60's. Talking with my neighbors they had similiar yields.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
cornhead64
Frequent Contributor

SW Minnesota, yields 20% under, hard to break 40 bpa.  Last big rain was the catrophic wind and hail storm the first week in July.  Happy at what we got, but scared to death for this Spring -- any kind of wind could turn things into a real dust bowl !!!

0 Kudos
tim7781
Frequent Contributor

se minnesota beans were way short also. our farm avg was 37

0 Kudos