cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Wet weather ahead

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1441486808

This is just a forecast but it does look like the wet weather will continue for Iowa.  Heavy rain now will do little damage to the maturing crops however,  some cattle farmers looking to chop corn soon, may have to wait.  This was a Summer where the crops did not suffer from lack of  rain.  Not even once here in central Iowa.  Did they suffer from too much rain?  Yes, time will tell. 

Other than sell what I have contracted plan to store this crop as long as long as I need to.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Wet weather ahead

Might want to add a little Malithion dust for that long term storage. If your harvesting with a green machine run it through a grain cleaner too.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Story was told of a farmer who stored corn (ear corn) multiple years during the "Great Depression" hoping to get a higher price.  The price of corn was .17cents when he cribbed it and .11cents years later when he sold it.  The rest of the story is that rats ate 1/4 of the stored corn!!!  The  only "happy camper" here was a pack of rats.  A 30's marketing strategy that went south.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The difference now is........the rats have moved to Chicago....................and they are probably eating up more than 1/4 of the profits.  Smiley Wink