k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: What, Frost damage?

Maybe ,   Cyber  Attack  Frost  -  ???? 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Freeze damage was in Kansas ....about 30 miles wide and 0+6+-150 miles long parallel to I 70 on the south side. Took out wheat and corn.  froze solid with ice and 2 inches thick.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Corn planted without a major region lagging.

Soil Moisture index neutral almost everywhere, which is wonderful on June 1. Perfect recipe- may get worse, but may get better. 

You decide.

(Odds favor the latter, but nobody knows).

0 Kudos
dwillinois
Contributor

We've heard the perfect recipe stuff the last couple years and huge crops coming but somehow the cupboard is empty. Its June and corn and beans still getting planted, long ways to go to make a crop

We've become complacent when being told by so called "experts" about record crops are coming and its still the month of March and how it will take China years to buy American again.... You decide

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Indeed, but it will be hard to kill this crop in the next month- in fact a little dry is good. Anxiety will build toward the end of that period if it remains on the dry side or heat is in the forecast.

0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

SD I hope you didn’t just jinx this crop

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

There are some who don`t want farmers selling $7 corn and $16 beans off the combine this fall for a plethora of reasons...and I`ll leave it at that.

As far as freeze damage, it is indeed real and strip til/no-til took the brunt of it.  Just dead reckoning I would say 10% of 10% of the cornbelt was impacted as far as "small spot in 200 acre field so I`m not worrying about it" to replanting the field.  So about a 1% ding to the final production due to the freeze, but remember this is a year where every bushel was supposed to count.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

"The market" tends not to.

That's why these are historically good prices, regardless what comes.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

BA, important to remember that in a median year, 3% of the land mass is drowned out. That is .5% this year so far (all in KA of all places!). So, the 10% of 10%, or 1%, is in the average already. Besides you are suggesting about 1,000,000 acres that yield zero due to the frost, that is really not supported by the boots on the ground, at least not what I've seen or heard so far anyway.

The fact that it is raining in W-KA and CO really should make us pause and wonder, pretty hard to get big rains in ND/SD/MN when it is raining in KA (just due to the jet stream setup that makes a rain in KA possible.) :-)

0 Kudos