cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

What do you guy think?

With the corn market rallying,soy stong,and even wheat not retracting like a clams neck,the market seems to chocking on a fur ball like a cat.Pork and cattle producers loosing the long awaited edge to higher feed grain pricing.Ag-day analyst warned  three months ago,cover,this could go higher.Now profits are looking tighter again,and it's comical as far as the price of products from the meat counter in the local grocer,espeacialy as far as pork products are concerned.Chops are cheep enough to feed the dogs with.Are we held at these third world levels because importing countrys just can not afford this. Is this what the last 15 years of political retorick has caused,(NAFTA)? Maybe its time to call the bluff!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: What do you guy think?

HOw u gonna call? 

THe meat counter and the dairy case are in my outspoken opinion being held down before this election so that the dems aren't all being run out. 

GS a few weeks ago released a statement that after the first of the year livestock products would go up and grains would go down.  They have big enough posititons that maybe they are able to do the necassary things to move this market that way?

I know dairy and pork are now being held outa Mexico which puts more of a strain on our storage products as they are the #1 export destination for each product.  All this over that stupid North American super highway.  We can't get product pushed into china or Russia cause of a paperwork snafu that USDA just doesn't seem to want to fix.  SO the fix is in trying to keep food prices down.  

What happens to the federal budget for food stamps if dairy and meats do on a tare?  IF dairy had a 100% price increase like corn nearly has had could we print monmey fast enough to pay for the EBT cards the food assistance program uses?  And how big would the C O L A be for SS?  See corn doesn't figure in to that equation and in fact probably more and more it is used as a gimmick to lower the cost of oil in the inflation basket. So our exports have nothing to do with weather the importing countries can afford our product.  It's all about keepin them lower for our masses. (hows that NOXIE for a conspiracy theory?)

What does that mean?

ALL the commodity groups better get together in a unified voice and decry the political practices of the ruling class here pretty quick or you grain guys will be right in the guutter with us.

As to NAFTA When I talk to the WHORE at the Arlington Brothel they all unite into the free trade dribble and long for the days when they could all rub Clayton Yietters bald head and get the free trade gennie to grant every one of their wishes! We've exported all the mfg. jobs and now lets export the meats after all they just stink up the land of the enslaved and the home of the cowards!

Folks if this keeps up you'll have to grow more soy acres so we can all drink soy milk and grow man boobs!  (Be thankful I am in a good mood this morning!) JR

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Glad to see you are having such a great day there jr.

Now just a few thoughts about your 'conspiracy theory'

Pork held out of Mexico and Canadian pork (and beef) held out of US by COOL so what have you got to complain about? I understand that Canadian sheep and sheep products are still banned from your country because of BSE and there has never been a case of BSE in sheep anywhere.

US pork production (this from memory, maybe someone has the exact figures) down 1% from last year. Canadian pork production down 12-15% and will fall more as I along with others have, or are, just shipping the last of our pigs.

I do not think 'free trade' (which never has been in all ag products) is the only reason for the changes that have been and are continuing to happen in the world economies.

I do think you have to talk of the 'world economy' now as no country is isolated from the rest any longer.

Losing jobs to others? There are many reasons and I do not think any person or group in government can change/stop or go back to the past situation on that.

We all just have to adapt to the new 'now'.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Can;t argue for a minute that you have a valid "beef" about cool but remeber your quota system doesn't allow for imports of milk either. 

Oh and BTW If it was all guys like you in the one world country phase we are about to be pushed into I would prbably join up for that citizenship.  But I think we gotta take in the whole world into that scheme and I ain't ready for that many new neighbors! In all fairness I don't think most are ready for me eihter. JR

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thats right Canuck,we all just have to except the new.Hard to swallow with no new profit highs to match the value of our land andcost of our machinery. JR,do realy think anyone would vote for more of the same bs reguardless of pocketbook(short term).Irresponsible! Realisticly a favorable price could be paid for any of our commodities if the middles would stay the heck out.For instance how much would slaughter ready hogs have to go up for a profitable level at $6.00 corn.A bu of wheat makes over 70 loaves of bread,not a lot of difference beween $5.00-$8.00 In most cases the packaging out strips the cost of raw product.As for food stamp programs,these products should be government purchaced,genericaly but responsably packaged for a true government social program.Maybe if the government would treat the medical professions the way they do agriculture they would not need to be worried about health care cost,ah,but that would put a lot of lawyers out of bussiness.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I honestly believe that there are too many people and companies relying on the taxpayer money for their profits. Look, how much subsidy money goes through our hands to implement companies, financial companies, crop conglomerates, protein conglomerates, and even energy conglomerates? Ten percent, 25%, 35%, or much greater? The same is true for many other industries. The main focus for them is to get your money, any which way possible. For a long time, the most secure source has been the government, hence their strong lobbying. How much longer will the controlling elites be able to keep the masses from realizing what the US debt was spent on? The Tea Party has a strong voice. We will see in November and afterwards if this means change in the trends.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What I and other democrats thought is that it would  be good if we depressed pork prices so voters would vote for us.  That is also our plan to drive corn and bean prices higher so all those conservative corn growers will vote for us.

To heck with livestock feeders though. They will never vote for us anyway. Can you say conservative right wingers? Or tea baggers?

Of course this is all bull hockey but I just had to take a shot at JR and maybe he can realize how silly he sounds.

I will just tell him that supply and demand is working. People without jobs are not buying  those wonderful food products. You should be thankful that government is as generous as they are for where would your market be without food stampers?

Meanwhile food processors and food retailers are protecting their interest. They want their cut whether you get yours or not. And I suspect most of the businesses are run and operated by conservatives. And the poor slobs that work in those plants are democrats like me. Working for peanuts while business is thriving on what little business there is.

BTW I have no interest in lowering the price of a gallon of milk or the price of cheese and ice cream. I want you guys to prosper even though JR would like my corn market to fall out of bed so that he can make a buck. Why don't he look to the folks he is selling to for his answer?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Kraft, here I thought it was the unions guys with the big paychecks and pensions and benefits were democrats, and the rest of the clock punching work force was GOP. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

With corn prices rallying, the hurt is sure to be seen in many sectors.  For example, mariguana.  Could its' position as the nations top cash crop be threatened by rising corn prices?  Or could the rising cost of food staples cut into consumer spending for pot?  

What's it going to be, a package of T bones, a couple gallons of milk, salad mix and a ten pound bag of potatoes, or a couple joints and a bag of chips for the munchies.  Challenging times for the American consumer.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ya,maybe if we all smoke pot,get the munchies,and eat chips,we won't need a few extra hundred thousand for that new john deere!There is some thing to be said about how much of the rotating dollar goe's to others health care,retirment,and vacation time(PAID) Unions have that fixed for us.If your land is not making you 10% plus what it's salable value is,and you are young enough,get out and get a real gob that will take care of you later! (Government,municipality,educator,military career,mail,state worker or highway dept.) I don't know about all states,but here in the west the have a program called pers,(Public employees retirment system.) It is not sustainable,but seemingly irreversible.Guess who set that one up? So back to the main topic of this post.(CALL THE BLUFF.)

0 Kudos