cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: What has the Internet meant to you?

Electricity -- don't really know what the economics were, yet that was for a steady and increasing, reliable subscription.  For the most part, once anyone had electricity, they didn't discontinue it.  Grandparents got hooked up when Kansas City Power and Light came thru with main supply lines cross-country, and customer supply lines along old state highways to each town (adding on people along their system, but not very far from their main lines), but most of the rural folks around here still operated on batteries, old generators, or no power, until the Rural Electric Cooperatives took care of them.  I have KCP&L line to house and buildings coming cross-country from old state highway, but coop line is along gravel road bordering home place about 1/4 mile from house from other direction.  Local town actually had their own electrical system before KCP&L came in, now buys some of their power from KCP&L and sells excess back to them.

Based on the reasonableness of my rural water bill, I'd think the least economical system that has been put in place around here would be rural water.  Have a few neighbors that still have never hooked up to it, relying instead on cisterns and their old wells.  Rural water saved some money by just installing lines along the roads, and anything from there to the house, etc., was our own expense.  Whereas, the electrical was provided all the way to the meter, and the phone lines went all the way to the house.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: What has the Internet meant to you?

Had  a  couple  generation back ,  relative , chased off  the  place  several  times,  trying  to get willing  customers to sign up for  R  E  A  -  -  -

Although most of that was  due to UN-FOND  experiences of the depression era - carrying over  -  liken  to  the  sign  of  we  shoot  every  4th  salesman &  3  just  left  -  -  - 

Had  a  neighbor  from WW II  brought home, a  wife  from  Austria,  and  she  was  shocked at  the time of  no electricity-  1946 -  as  they  had  hydro power there before the war - although before they passed on  they  wern't  impressed with the A  O  L  stuff  of  change   -  -  -    

0 Kudos