cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: What is the insurers stance

• I would think with those prices you could be expected to do a little in house financing.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

According to my crop insurance guy, the adjuster is supposed to look at the area and see if everyone else has there corn planted. If they do that should put up a red flag. The problem is these agencies make big bucks off this crop insurance no one wants to lose a customer. I'm just a 2500 acre farmer and I've been told by adjusters there boss was told to keep me happy. Its not right but what do you do. For us honest guys we need the insurance. Maybe it would be better if it was privatized.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Are you sure that switching to no-till was the only reason your neighboring producer was denied an insurance claim?  NRCS is pushing natural conservation practices so why would the RMA rule against something another USDA entity is endorsing?  2012 was the first year 100% of my row crops were grown no-till and I received a disaster claim on every acre.  Something isn't adding up, are these decisions location dependent?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hobby,    sounds like you know my financial adviser ------------------ she's ---- always right

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

It's hard for me to say what the insurance company's dealings are with this guy. I've known the farmer for years and I do believe him. His rotational crop was a minor crop long grown in our area, and his crop was very weedy. There were limited chemical options at the time and weeds were not totally unexpected depending on the conditions any given year.

I notilled the same crop this year with better herbicides and clean as could be. I would say the farmers crop that was denied was within the possibilities when it was grown but on the worse end of the spectrum. He had connections and didn't use them. He accepted the ruling even though disappointed.

0 Kudos