cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

What's The Story With GMO Corn ?

What's the deal with Genetically Modified Organism ("GMO") corn ? I have heard a lot of screaming and yelling about why its so dangerous to the animal body that is not used to processing the genetic make up of the product, but most of the rants have come from the tree huggers (don't laugh, I had a girlfriend who believed that by hugging trees she would get serenity and energy) and the global climate change crowd who I have found rely more on emotion and gimmicks to get government research grants more than they cite true scientific investigation. ( I was told in 2001 that parts of the world would be covered in water already due to global warming).

So what is going on in corn country with respect to GMO corn ? Is much of it being grown anywhere or is it a niche crop ? What does the farming community think about it, do you want to grow it or not ? Are the seeds more expensive than traditional corn ? If it hasn't caught on yet, will it ever over time ? 

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: What's The Story With GMO Corn ?

Most corn varieties today are GMO that are used for feed. Whenever I worked as a grain merchandiser when you bought #2 YC it was assumed it was GMO corn. We paid premiums for organic/non-gmo grain for specific feedmills. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

So they grow GMO corn to feed to livestock that later provides people with milk and meat to eat ? 

No wonder my urine glows in the dark...

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Ray
You are such an expert in corn and in your 50 years you just now found this out? C’mon Ray!
Veteran Advisor

Just asked a little question and you get bent out of shape. Real Traders control their emotions.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Yes they grow GMO corn for feed for dairy, chicken, pork, beef feedmills/feedyards. Honestly GMOs don't bother me, everything is a genetically modified organism from how it was original found in nature. All the new processes do is take it from a guess and check genetics to knowing exactly what genetics are being used within the varietal. 

Man imagine what you would think if I told you about all the myotoxins and other reasons corn is rejected or discounted at feedmills. It's quite fascinating really, but would take a several page essay to write. Check out Aflatoxin and Fumonisin, and remember these are part per million or part per billion toxins. So you could run 10 tests on one truckload and 7 would pass and 3 would fail. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Is that right ? Where do these toxins come from, the ground the stalks are planted in ? Its pretty amazing that with all that could go wrong we still have billions eating every day and very few are keeling over from food poisoning. 

I will read about those toxins, thanks.

btw, I 'm not all too worried about the GMO foods. The human body has adapted to so many changes in environment from the days if the cavemen, yet the species survived.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sorry Ray,
I wasn’t in your rough trading room, I was just in the corn pit in the late 80’s and 90’s.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

While your at it see if you can find all the literally millions of pounds of toxic chemicals NOT used to control all the pests the GMO products replaced. Start with organophosphates.

Also strike three just attacked another long time poster (geo) that has more decent things going on in his little finger than you have in your entire body.

What the he'll is your problem? Mounting losses on your CBOT account? You have flashes of good analytical posts, then this crap.

Senior Advisor

I like GMOs because that creates the opportunity to make good money by raising non GMOs. You are the consumer. Tell me what you want and I will produce it for you if you are willing to pay the price. If you want your Tostitos chips from corn sprayed for corn bore, some Caprino and atrazine for weeds, with a little lorsban dumped into the ground for root worms we'll spray er. If you want them from corn sprayed with roundup or liberty we'll do that also. The choice is yours. We can adapt........for the right price. After all the guys making cultivator shovels have to eat too.