cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What`s the deal with all the crappy crops on the net?

Have garden spots really turned south that quickly?  2 weeks ago everyone except NIA and SMN were posting pretty pictures of them standing in 7 foot, dark green corn, proclaiming "Best I`ve ever seen!".   Now posting pictures of dried up knee-high junk is more in vogue, with the comment "If we don`t get rain in the next 5 minutes, this whole state is lost!!!". 

I was feeling a little bit better about the way things were looking in NCIA, sure we`ve been the armpit of conditions this year, PP every where, knee-high corn not uncommon, beans just cracking.  But, some fields are close to tassel, good color, some beans are really catching up.

I suppose that tells the variability if this crop.  Perhaps some of the drier outer cornbelt areas that were really shining in a wet spring are now running running out of gas.  But we`ve had plenty of rain around here lately, the gal at the bank said it rained 6" at their place on saturday.  Some of this seeding cover crop on PP, it looks pretty wet still in some areas.  Maybe when/if the rain does go away, we`ll all be posting shriveled up corn pictures, being as the roots can`t be that good this year.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: What`s the deal with all the crappy crops on the net?

We have had plenty timely rain in those garden spots. The problem is the tap is off now.

I don't think I'll get rain til August... By then it'll be 45 days w/o real rain. The only good news is that it's gonna get cold real fast here
0 Kudos
IllinoisSteve
Senior Contributor

Same story different year. Folks with the worst crops are the most frustrated. When they get stressed and frustrated, they vent. They vent by coming to boards like this and talking about their crops with pics to back it up. Most guys with good looking crops don't post or show pics because they don't want to rub it in on the other guys. Every year if you went by these discussion boards you would swear that we would have no crop at all. Human nature I suppose.
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I post pics of my crops no madder what their condition. Go to the crops section and check them out. Been doing that for about 3 months now. In fact, I'm heading out to snap a few more shots this morning. I'll post later today for your enjoyment. Feel free to praise or ridicule 'till your hearts' content.
0 Kudos
IllinoisSteve
Senior Contributor

I hear where you are coming from Shaggy and good on you for posting pics whatever the condition of your crops.  My point is that you naturally see and hear about more pooe crops on these board than good because the guys with good crops aren't as wound up and anxious to prove their case.  There is always some really poor and some really good but generally you only hear about the poor from farmers.

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

How about the guys like me with great crops, along with flooded out non existant crops. Mediocre overall yield, looks to me, even if it does rain. I am not wound up about it, just discusted with the year, and would like a do-over.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Esteemed Advisor

BA, I will post pics of whatever the crop looks like, good or bad. To me its a credibility issue. If I only show pictures of 50 bushel like corn year in and year out, and my yield turns out to be 110 bu, nobody will believe my post anymore. I don't know what my average corn yield will be for my farm, but the eastern cornbelt as a whole is looking pretty impressive as of today. This hot spell is coming at a bad time, and if we are to produce enough to make up for NIA we will need rain to help fill ears. I will post pictures this evening.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I have been posting picts of good looking crops and after just 2 picts of a fried crop in western Ks we get this heading on a thread.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.  I don`t mean to discourage anyone from posting pictures of what they have, pictures are the antidote for "backyarditis".   My observation was that in my neck of the woods (and Ray J can attest to this) we were slogging in the mud in June, that`s fine, it was our turn this year that`s all 🙂   But at that time, there was beautiful pictures of timely planted crops and predictions of "16 billion corn crop" ...half my county was yet to be planted at that time.   Now the corn that I did plant, I feel can go 180, not stellar but if things pan out it should be good, knocking wood, my beans could pull off a 50.   But as I just got my "bear suit' all zipped up, I see all this burnt up corn and immenent disaster 18 hours away. 🙂   If things really are bad in these once garden spots, I may have to re-think my prediction of a 12.75 billion corn crop.  

BTW I`m mainly refering to pictures on the "other site" they have some real doozies.

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Will be interesting to read the end-of-week reports from all the gurus.  At least you're thinking under 13B corn.

0 Kudos