cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Wheat gone wild,after

harvest it will play the quallitie card by mid winter,in a much bigger way than ever before.This is just my own assumption,but,so there you have it!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Re: Wheat gone wild,after

ray h.,

I'm hearing from traders that wheat has no business above $5.00. Favorable weather is moving through the Black Sea, the U.S. wheat price is not competitive on the world market, and what dloes quality issues matter if your product isn't price-competitive in the first place.

Just a thought or two for you to chew on.

Mike

ray h.
Senior Contributor

Sorry,I am in a specialty market!

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Wheat, since there ain't much,

maybe asia, eu etc can supply it.

better be talking in the $7's for the usa...there just ain't gonna be much to sell.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

There's a fungus amongst us.

Rust in more fields than not clear across northern Ks.

Wheat in milk stage with no, zero, nodda, leaves left just a green stem left to feed the head.

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

I hear ya,high disease pressure here to.

0 Kudos
NateWCMN
Frequent Contributor

Mike,

A trader can afford to ask "What does quality matter?" because their job does not involve getting up in the morning and selling a loaf of bread, a pizza crust, or a cookie.  There is a tendency to forget that we do consume some wheat right here in the USA.  Sure, wheat may be cheaper elsewhere in the world, but can you really source the quality of wheat millers here require elsewhere and deliver it to their facility for $5.37 a bushel?  We can't always count on Canada for that high quality wheat product either, because they do a pretty good job of selling their wheat elsewhere

The point is we need enough high quality wheat for our milling market, plus those in the export market who will pay a premium for a premium product.  The question right now is will we have the required quantity of high quality wheat this year?  If the traders won't price it appropriately to get that to come to market and balance supply and demand, then the end user will have to.  Too many traders forget there are three wheat futures markets in the US for distinctly different products, and just trade global 'wheat' - a product that doesn't exist in the physical world.

lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

The company I work for has millwrights that do work in a couple of the flour mills in our area.

On one of my visits with the head miller he asked me why farmers in our area don't grow more wheat.

It took me less than 3 minutes with a pencil and paper to explain it to him.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Mike. Quality never matters when we have it.

We got nothing so far.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Funny thing about milling premiums and quality. Like auto and seed rebates, they get sucked up by the handlers in the middle.
0 Kudos