cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Wheat?

Is the wheat basis between chicago and portland about 40 cents skinnier this year over last,or isa it just my imagination. Seems with the amount of replant in the PNW,and the uncertainty of the Aus,moisture profile the basis would be the same!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Wheat?

The PNW basis over Chicago has narrowed during this last spike as the boys in Portland aren't breathing a word about reseeding at this point. There may be some SWW sales to cover spring expenses while others wait to take advantage of later developments. Another month and the local situation will be more quantifiable. Those who aren't aware are in for a surprise if they order spring seed late for the higher elevations.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not a big wheat producer but do raise enough to make a difference in the bottom line.If everything is norm,we always have 100% of our acreage in winter.I need to plant a grain for a nurse crop for orchardgrass establishment this spring,have used wheat with good success,but even the local seed dealer says spring supplys are tight and the varitie i want to use is not available.I am considering useing a contracted spring oat or barley in its stead! (maybe more $)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I've used spring oats as a cover with orchardgrass. Worked well. Very little weed pressure and grazed it off in the summer with a pot load of steers.
It was drilled with oats in the main box and grass seed in the little box. Made a nice, clean stand of hay.
0 Kudos