cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Where is Jen?

Just wondering where our resident weather girl has gone?  I know she has been busy down in Oklahoma but we were getting reports from her even while down there.  Just wondering what she sees on the horizon for fall weather?

While our 6 to 10 and 8 to 14 are warm and wet I have concerns about a late, cool, and wet fall.  Anyone else feeling this in their bones?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Where is Jen?

I attributed that ache the last two days from spending a full day walking around the farm show. Maybe I am misreading the aches and pains?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If I was in an area that has recieved an abundant amount of rain in the past 30 days or so, I would be very concerned that the weather pattern won't change any time soon........not only slowing down the maturing of crops, and making harvesting very difficult.   These record crops are not in the bins yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Jen and SW have both been scarce, coincidence or????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hi Guys - I'm still here in the wings.  It's that time of year where weather is becoming less of a factor.  I'm still watching for our first frost, but that has probably also been mitigated by the amount of rain across the corn belt.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next two years.  

I worry about property values on the farmland, to a point.  Like any other commodity, once things start going down, the buyers tend to dry up or reduce the bids even more.  Too bad we can't do that with the inputs on the farm, although that will happen over the course of time.  

I'm still think farming is the place to be long term.  I see the future for farming being exceptionally bright.  How can one not, with the world population expanding as it is?  As time goes by, I'm sure we will find even more uses for what we produce on the farm.  Prices rise and prices fall.  Nothing has changed there.  It's just how the game is played.

Weather wise, as far as the frost outlook, right now, nothing.  We have a small area of cold that breaks into Southern Canada:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

but it's not anything that will do any damage here in the US.

10 days from now we do have a big High dropping out of Canada, which is what is causing the lower temps on the above map:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

This is going to be around the time of the full moon - but there's just too much warm air still in Canada, and the temps are going to be modified above freezing by the time the air mass gets to the US.

Moisture wise, much of the same that we have seen.  All the processes are still in place that have been driving our weather all summer.  It's probably going to stay wet - and probably get wetter gong into at least the late fall time frame.  It's going to suck for you guys that are already wet and going to be trying to get this huge crop off the fields.  But, we manage those conditions somewhere most every year.  This year may be just a bit more than normal.

I am down in OKC.  I came down on Sunday.  I had two double shifts this week, and an early morning shift tomorrow.  I need to get to bed - 

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Jen,

I'm not sure if you are in charge of west coast weather or not, but just in case you are, thanks for the quarter inch of rain in the Willamette valley today. We can breathe again!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I'm not in charge James. It's that big high pressure system off the West Coast that is still refusing to budge. It's been there a long time - not sure what it's going to take to push that thing out of there. It's probably going to take a change in ocean currents or temperature.

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Thunder on the Plains...

No I'm not talking about an annual dirt track race (although it would be a cool name) it is actually thundering outside at 0600 this morning. Not wanting to put a damper on anyone's holiday weekend, but we need to take it whenever we can get it. So how about it Jen, one more wave of that magic wand of yours?
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Thunder on the Plains...

Shag - you actually have multiple chances coming up this week, and then probably continuing into next week.  The Gulf is open, the Jet Stream is over the US.  Ask Hobby - be careful what you wish for....

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Thunder on the Plains...

Getting moderate rain and some marble sized hail, guess we gotta take the good with the bad. Hail seems to be few and far between and very soft. Almost disintegrates when it hits the ground.
0 Kudos